You are reading

Parks Dept: Dunningham Triangle to reopen next month

Dunningham Triangle (October 2015)

Dunningham Triangle (October 2015)

June 20, 2016 By Michael Florio

The long-awaited revamp to Dunningham Triangle is almost complete.

The triangle, located where Baxter Ave, Ithaca Street and 82nd Street all meet, is expected to reopen next month, according to a Parks Depart. spokeswoman.

The $310,000 renovation will feature new sidewalks, permeable pavers, benches, tables and new plantings, according to the spokeswoman.

The Parks Department’s goal is to ensure the space is more utilized. “We are creating a location to stop and sit while running errands or during a commute,” she said.

The renovation was expected to be complete in August 2014.

However, the design plans were delayed as officials went back and forth as to how best to stop people from sleeping in the park.

Officials met several times to discuss solutions to prevent this.

Ultimately, the renovation included security fencing and additional lighting, according to the spokeswoman.

That was not the only delay in the process.

The project had to be put out for bid twice, since the first time there was a lack of interest, a Parks Department spokesperson said in October.

The park has been closed since construction began in July 2015.

This project is funded with $115,000 from the City Council, $150,000 from the Borough President, and $55,000 in Mayoral funding.

email the author:
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man charged with rape and kidnapping for attacks on 13-year-olds in Flushing park: DA

Ecuadorean migrant Christian Inga was criminally charged Wednesday with first-degree rape, two counts of kidnapping, predatory sexual assault, and other crimes for attacking two 13-year-olds who were in Kissena Corridor Park in the middle of the afternoon on June 13.

He allegedly held the two children at knifepoint in a wooded area where he tied the hands of the boy and girl together with a shoelace and then raped the girl.