You are reading

Woodside man who smuggled 50kg of cocaine through his family restaurant sentenced to 20 years

Restaurant

June 23, 2017 By Christian Murray

A Woodside man was sentenced to 20 years in prison Thursday for smuggling more than 50 kilos of cocaine from Costa Rico to his family’s Italian restaurant in Corona, according to federal prosecutors.

Angelo Giliotti, 36, was convicted last July along with his father, Gregorio Giliotti, for participating in a long-running cocaine importation scheme. His father was sentenced to 18 years in prison in April.

Meanwhile, his mother, Eleonor Gigliottti, who was also involved in the drug-trafficking operation was sentenced to 7 years in prison last month.

According to the charges, law enforcement officials intercepted and seized about 55 kilograms of cocaine that had been hidden in boxes of cassava and shipped to the Gigliotti’s Corona-based Italian restaurant, Cucino Amodo Mio at 51-01 108th Street.

The Gigliottis were arrested on March 11, 2015, and when police executed a search warrant for the restaurant they found seven guns, various gun paraphernalia, a handwritten ledger showing the movement of more than $350,000, and $100,000 in cash.

“The defendants used their family restaurant in Corona as well as a produce importation company, to import over 50 kilograms of cocaine worth millions of dollars from Costa Rica. The prison sentences imposed on the defendants put an end to the transnational drug trafficking they conducted behind the disguise of local businesses,” Acting United States Attorney Bridget Rohde said in a statement.

Gigliotti is also facing 10 years of supervised release after he serves his prison term.

Gigliotti

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

plays

Jun. 17, 2024 By Athena Dawson

Are you a fan of dramatic plays and tear-jerking comedies? Head to Travers Park this Wednesday for a free performance of Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors, hosted by the Mobile Unit of The Public Theatre.  Located at 78th St. and 34th Ave. in Jackson Heights, the Shakespeare in the Park series will grace Queens’ public stage on June 19th at 6 p.m. for a truly unforgettable performance. The 90-minute play will provide a bilingual English and Spanish adaptation for audience members to enjoy. 

Teen robbed of pricey AirPods by shirtless suspect near Queens Center Mall: NYPD

A 17-year-old girl was walking to the Queens Center Mall earlier this month when a bare-chested stranger snatched a pricey pair of Apple AirPods from her ears in broad daylight.

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst reported that the grand larceny occurred at around 4 p.m. on Tuesday, June 6. The youngster was about to enter the mall at 90-15 Queens Blvd. when the perpetrator came up behind her and forcibly removed the AirPods before running off in an unknown direction, police said. A pair of high-end Apple AirPods can cost up to $500.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.