You are reading

Woman raped this morning in Jackson Heights, police say

crime-scene-tape

Dec. 4, 2015 Staff Report

A 40-year-old woman was raped in Jackson Heights in the early hours this morning, according to police.

The suspect approached the woman on 83rd Street just before 1 am and forced her into a back yard. The man allegedly pulled out a knife and raped the victim, police said.

The woman was collecting cans, according to reports, and was lured into the back yard by the alleged perpetrator.

The suspect then fled northbound on 83rd Street on a bicycle.

The suspect is described as a Hispanic male, between 20-30 years old, according to the NYPD.

email the author: [email protected]

20 Comments

Click for Comments
Mary

How can we help women get home safely? This is really upsetting and now I fear a neighborhood I once felt safe in. 1am is not late in nyc and people are close by. Also, how do we spread the word so people in the neighborhood know about this who don’t read this paper or watch local news?

Dennis

I hope you guys are writing to city officials, 311, and congressman Joe Crowley. I wrote to them after the last attack and got some BS reply.

I installed lights on the front my house and a motion sensor in the backyard but I can’t go around cutting tree branches.

jd

All those blocks in between the main avenues are dark. When I was 15. I almost got raped on 88th street between 35th and 34th ave. That street is very dark too. We need a better description of this man. Hispanic male is not gonna help. Hispanics can be different races. Black, white, indigenous. And even a mix of all three.

Sandra

JD, finally someone got it right! (Hispanics can be different races. Black, white, indigenous. And even a mix of all three). NYPD/News need to realize that and start giving better descriptions when it comes to Hispanics and their race.

jd

He’s not being ignorant. Its true. Jackson heights has Hispanics as the majority. I’m Hispanic and I’m not offended at all.

Anonymous visitor

I don’t know how to take your comment, as to it seems very ignorant of you to even say that Ina situation like this.

Some Honest Dude

As a hispanic male between the ages of 20-30 years old. 75% is a great overexageration, but that’s a really poor description given the neighborhood. I find it deplorable that it was in fact a woman collecting cans. In this neighborhood you see them all of the time, and it makes me very sad to see the weak being preyed upon.

Sylvia Sama

This morning I drove down my block to mid block bet 31st-30th Avenue & saw an NBC news truck but no cops. I was curious to know what happened. The block is semi attached houses with common drive ways. I am furious this could happen in such a nice area. I am thinking that this rapist and the one who recently attacked a woman on 84th St & 34th Ave. are the same guy.

Anonymous visitor

I was walking on 83 street on Wednesday night between 35ave and 37ave the street lights are very poor.

AMC

83rd from Roosevelt Avenue through Northern is poorly lit, and the trees need major pruning-it looks like a forest especially between 37th and 35th Avenue. While we’re at it 9O between 37th and 34th is very poorly lit as well- have the landlords do something.
Get it together, Jackson Heights-NOW.

Ed

Between 30th & 31st Avenues. It happened right next door to me. I was awake and heard all the police commotion.

Maryann

We need more police present. Also the street lights need to be more brighter like what we have on northern blvd

Craic Dealer

Police obviously cant be every where all the time. Jax Heights needs a proper neighborhood watch. NYPD is there to simply fill out paperwork.

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

Recent News

Cop injured by glass bottle thrown from 7 train station on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

An on-duty NYPD police officer was injured while standing on a foot post when he was struck by a glass bottle that was thrown from the 103rd Street-Corona Plaza, 7 train station above Roosevelt Avenue early Monday morning.

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst reported that the officer was in uniform standing in front of 103-28 Roosevelt Ave. just before 2 a.m., when a man threw the bottle from the Flushing-bound platform. It struck the officer’s head, causing a laceration and a concussion.

Op-ed: An urgent call for revising NY’s criminal justice reforms to protect public safety

Apr. 11, 2024 By Council Member Robert Holden

In 2019, the State Legislature and Governor Andrew Cuomo embarked on a controversial overhaul of New York’s criminal justice system by enacting several laws, including cashless bail and sweeping changes to discovery laws. Simultaneously, the New York City Council passed laws that compounded these challenges, notably the elimination of punitive segregation in city jails and qualified immunity for police officers. These actions have collectively undermined public safety and constrained law enforcement effectiveness.

City employee charged in fatal collision that killed a Middle Village woman in Elmhurst last month: NYPD

A truck driver for the city’s Department of Environmental Protection was arrested and charged in a fatal collision in Elmhurst last month.

Roderick Mitchell, 38, of Valley Stream, Long Island, turned himself in at the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst, where he was charged with failure to yield and failure to exercise due care for striking 43-year-old Natalia Garcia-Valencia of Middle Village on the morning of Tuesday, Mar. 12.