You are reading

Van Bramer Releases Borough Presidency Campaign Video

Jimmy Van Bramer (Facebook)

Oct. 22, 2019. By Shane O’Brien 

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer has released a campaign video as the race for Queens Borough President begins to heat up.

Van Bramer posted a video to his Facebook and Twitter accounts Tuesday which chronicled his struggles growing up gay.

He likened U.S. President Donald Trump and the “Queens County Democratic machine” to the bullies he faced as a teen and said that he would stand up to racist policies that target the diverse communities of Queens.

Van Bramer said that many people in Queens had been staring into an abyss since Trump was elected, but that he had organized communities to resist and stand up for Queens’ values.

The Council Member announced that he was running for Borough President in April. Several other candidates are also vying for the position.

Council Members Costa Constantinides and Donovan Richards have announced they are running as well as Assembly Member Alicia Hyndman and former Council Member Elizabeth Crowley.

Other contenders are likely to come forward.

The seat is likely to be vacated by current Borough President Melinda Katz in January. She is running to be the next Queens District Attorney and is expected to cruise to victory in the November general election.

The city will hold a special election for Queens Borough President within 45 days of Katz’s vacancy.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
#littlejimmygoestoofar

Little Jimmy is a very disturbed individual who can go back to shelving books in the library – I doubt they even want him there.

66
190
Reply
You don't know how to spell the borough you LIVE IN?!

There’s no apostrophe in “Queens.” It doesn’t belong to the queen.

23
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.