Oct. 30, 2018 By Christian Murray
Officials cut the ribbon today to mark the completion of a $1.9 million overhaul of a popular East Elmhurst playground.
Louis C. Moser Playground, located at 25th Avenue and 76th Street, now features two play areas, new equipment, additional plants and an adult fitness area. The playground, previously called Bulova Park, was renamed last year in honor of Moser who is best remembered for his civic work. He died in 1983.
As part of the revamp, a children’s spray shower has been added and so too have game tables. The park’s drainage and water supply systems have also been reconstructed and new drinking fountains have been added.
Construction began in September 2017 and was completed on schedule. The revamp was funded with allocations of $1.4 million by the city council and $500,000 by Mayor Bill de Blasio.
“Louis C. Moser’s legacy lives on with this beautifully redone park,” said Council Member Costa Constantinides. “Jackson Heights families will be able to enjoy its new amenities in a beautiful setting.”
Moser was a popular local figure best remembered for the creation of the North Queens Home Owners’ Civic Association, founded in 1941.
The civic group focused its efforts on preserving the residential character of northern Queens by preventing over-development and defending the rights and interests of homeowners.
Moser was also a strong advocate for park space and park maintenance.
No lights & slides for bigger kids…so much space at the back to add a ten is court as well.
Just in time for winter .