You are reading

Two Men Charged for Cell Phone Store Burglaries, Part of Larger Pattern: DA

Dec. 4, 2017 By Tara Law

Two Brooklyn men have been charged with stealing $3,000 worth of iPhones from three Queens mobile phone stores—-including one in Jackson Heights– within four hours on last Tuesday.

The incidents are believed to be part of a widespread pattern, where similar crimes have taken place at 14 cellphone stores across the borough. An investigation is presently ongoing.

Joshua Ellerbe, 28, and Devine Ingram, 22, were arraigned Wednesday and face multiple charges, including burglary, attempted burglary and attempted grand larceny, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

“Many people waited in long lines or signed up in advance to purchase the pricey new Apple products, but the defendants in this case allegedly took the old fashioned illegal route by brazenly walking into stores and grabbing merchandise that was within reach,” according to Queens District Attorney Richard A Brown.

The crime spree allegedly began at about 2:00 p.m., Nov. 28 when they targeted a mobile store in Jackson Heights.

Ellerbe allegedly entered an independent mobile store at 37-50 74th St with two other men. Two of the suspects jumped over the counter and grabbed an iPhone X worth $1,400 from the display case, and then they all fled.

An hour later, the three men allegedly entered a T-Mobile store at 86-16 Queens Blvd in Elmhurst. One of the men stole an iPhone 8 Plus worth about $930 before they all fled in a white Nissan vehicle.

Then at 4:15 p.m., the men entered a T-Mobile store at 95-02 Jamaica Ave. in Woodhaven. Ellerbe was wearing a brown UPS hat, and another man was wearing a red UPS hat. The man in the red hat took a cellphone worth $800 from the counter, and the men fled.

Hours later the police spotted the white Nissan allegedly used in the burglaries at 7:30 p.m. parked on Farragut Road in Brooklyn.

The police saw Ingram reach into the back seat, where police saw a UPS jacket and hat. Ingram allegedly admitted to the police that he had driven the Nissan that day and was charged.

Ingram was also charged for is involvement in another burglary, where he and an unapprehended suspect allegedly stole two phones worth in excess of $1,000 from a store at 98-05 Jamaica Ave on Oct. 29, according to the Queens DA.

Ellerbe was also charged for attempting to steal phones from the same 98-05 Jamaica Ave. store but on Nov. 16.

Bail was set for both Ellerbe and Ingram at $100,000 bond/$50,000 cash. Their next court date is Dec. 12. The men face up to seven years in prison if convicted.

email the author:


Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

‘Ghost car’ driver arrested in East Elmhurst after traffic stop reveals weapons, threatening note: NYPD

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst discovered an arsenal of weapons in a ghost car they pulled over on Ditmars Boulevard and 86th Street in East Elmhurst early Wednesday morning.

NYPD Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey held a press briefing at the 110th Precinct on Wednesday afternoon to discuss what the sergeant and three officers from the 110th Precinct public safety team found when they pulled over a black Ford Explorer at around 1:30 a.m. because it had blacked-out license plates.

Henry ‘Hank’ Krumholz, stalwart pioneer of Queens LGBTQ Pride, dies at 73

Henry “Hank” Krumholz, a pioneering gay rights activist in Queens, passed away on Sunday in his Flushing apartment at the age of 73.

Krumholz played a crucial role in the establishment and success of the Queens LGBTQ Pride Parade, which is held annually in Jackson Heights. He joined the parade’s sponsoring organization right after its inaugural event in 1993 and continued his involvement for decades. His passing came just a week after this year’s parade on June 2, marking its 31st anniversary.