You are reading

State Suspends Liquor Licenses of a Dozen Queens Bars/Restaurants for Violating COVID-19 Guidelines

(Photo courtesy of Flickr/Governor Cuomo’s office)

July 28, 2020 By Allie Griffin

State officials suspended the liquor licenses of a dozen New York City establishments — all in Queens — over the weekend, as they continue to crackdown on COVID-19 violations.

The State Liquor Authority (SLA) ordered the suspensions of 12 eateries across Astoria, Jackson Heights, Corona and Ozone Park during board meetings held Saturday through Monday, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today.

The new suspensions come after six other establishments throughout Queens saw their liquor licenses yanked for similar violations last week.

SLA Investigators witnessed large groups of people congregating and drinking outside many of the establishments without wearing face coverings and ignoring social distancing mandates.

Some of the bars created a “nightclub-like atmosphere” and served patrons past the city’s 11 p.m. curfew for outdoor dining, according to the violations.

A few of the violators even served customers inside their dining areas — though indoor dining has been indefinitely shuttered in the city. Investigators also caught servers and staff at several establishments tending to patrons without wearing a face covering.

Most, if not all, of the 12 bars are repeat offenders.

Cuomo recently enacted a “three-strikes” rule in which the SLA will suspend the liquor license of any bar or restaurant that violates social distancing rules and mask requirements three times.

“With these additional suspensions we are sending a clear message that the State will not hesitate to take action against businesses that put New Yorkers’ health and safety at risk,” Gov. Cuomo said in a statement today.

Several bars in Queens have already had their liquor licenses suspended for failing to meet coronavirus prevention requirements. Steinway Street in Astoria drew attention last week as huge crowds of unmasked partiers danced and drank in the street, despite the threat of COVID-19.

“New Yorkers have worked hard to flatten the curve, but the bars and restaurants that ignore public health guidance are disrespecting their sacrifices which have saved lives while allowing us to sustain the reopening of our economy,” Cuomo said.

The newly-announced establishments who lost their liquor licenses are listed below, along with the date when the licenses was suspended

The Grand at 37-01 30th Ave. in Astoria, on July 27

The Pomeroy at 36-12 Ditmars Blvd. in Astoria, on July 27

Lima at 85-07 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 25

RubiRosa at 8407 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 26

Mr Pancho’s Café at 86-09 Roosevelt Ave. in Jackson Heights, on July 26

De La Mora Restaurant at 84-19 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 26

El Patio Bar at 80-24 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 26

El Paisa Café at 87-05 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 27

Romanticos at 76-07 Roosevelt Ave. in Jackson Heights, on July 27

Blue Angel Lounge at 112-51 Roosevelt Ave. in Corona, on July 26

Delicia’s Mexicanas at 102-14 Roosevelt Ave. in Corona, on July 27

CJ’s Bar and Lounge at 139-09 Crossbay Blvd. in Ozone Park, on July 25

Establishments that receive suspensions must stop serving alcohol immediately. The suspensions remain in effect indefinitely. The maximum penalty includes a permanent revocation of the license and fines up to $10,000 per violation.

“The SLA will continue to immediately suspend licensees who jeopardize lives by flagrantly violating the Governor’s Executive Orders,” State Liquor Authority Chair Vincent Bradley said.

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946 to 1950 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.