You are reading

State Legislators Plan to Provide Undocumented Immigrants With Unemployment Benefits

Broadway in Elmhurst (Photo: Queens Post)

April 1, 2021 By Ryan Songalia

Undocumented immigrants and formerly incarcerated inmates in New York state could soon receive unemployment benefits that they had been ineligible for under earlier federal aid packages.

State Sen. Jessica Ramos, who represents a portion of western Queens, has been an outspoken advocated for the proposal known as the Excluded Workers Fund. On Wednesday, she took to Twitter, urging that it be included in the state budget.

“Every [New Yorker] should have access to the meaningful relief they need to provide for their families, regardless of documentation,” wrote Ramos.

Ramos was not immediately available for comment when the Queens Post reached out to her office this morning.

State legislators and the office of Gov. Andrew Cuomo are already discussing how the plan would be implemented, reported Politico on Tuesday.

Senate and Assembly Democrats have proposed $2.1 billion to be included for the Excluded Workers Fund, which would make some recipients eligible for more than $27,000 in relief.

Undocumented immigrants–and those who have been released from incarceration since October 2019 and therefore did not have the sufficient work history— would be eligible for unemployment benefits backdated to the time when the pandemic struck in March.

Benefits would include retroactive payments of $600 for each week they were unemployed from March 27 through July 2020, and $300 for each week from August 1, 2020 through September 6, 2021. Therefore, someone who has not worked the entirety of the pandemic would be eligible for an immediate payment of $20,700 and an additional $6,600.

“These are the folks who have been starving and have been on food lines on a daily basis, sometimes for hours, just to guarantee some food on the table for themselves and their families for the same night,” New York Immigration Coalition’s Vanessa Agudelo told Politico.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

plays

Jun. 17, 2024 By Athena Dawson

Are you a fan of dramatic plays and tear-jerking comedies? Head to Travers Park this Wednesday for a free performance of Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors, hosted by the Mobile Unit of The Public Theatre.  Located at 78th St. and 34th Ave. in Jackson Heights, the Shakespeare in the Park series will grace Queens’ public stage on June 19th at 6 p.m. for a truly unforgettable performance. The 90-minute play will provide a bilingual English and Spanish adaptation for audience members to enjoy. 

Teen robbed of pricey AirPods by shirtless suspect near Queens Center Mall: NYPD

A 17-year-old girl was walking to the Queens Center Mall earlier this month when a bare-chested stranger snatched a pricey pair of Apple AirPods from her ears in broad daylight.

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst reported that the grand larceny occurred at around 4 p.m. on Tuesday, June 6. The youngster was about to enter the mall at 90-15 Queens Blvd. when the perpetrator came up behind her and forcibly removed the AirPods before running off in an unknown direction, police said. A pair of high-end Apple AirPods can cost up to $500.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.