You are reading

Schumer, AOC Launch COVID-19 Funeral Fund, Hotline Gets 1 Million Calls on First Day

Sen. Chuck Schumer and U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in Corona yesterday to launch funeral fund Photo: @SenSchumer

April 13, 2021 By Christina Santucci

New Yorkers who lost a loved one to COVID-19 can now apply for up to $9,000 in federal funds to help pay for funeral and burial costs.

The FEMA hotline for applications launched Monday, and U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Chuck Schumer visited Corona to highlight the program’s kickoff.

The pair have championed the program as a way to help low-income residents, who have been disproportionately affected by the pandemic.

“This effort began over a year ago when community leaders in NY-14 flagged the disparate impact of COVID-19 in working-class areas, compounded with the devastating economic impact of funeral expenses,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a statement. “I’m so relieved that soon our families will finally be able to access relief.”

The Congresswoman posted on social media Monday evening that the hotline had already received more than one million calls – in the first day of operation.

The $2 billion in funding for the Funeral Assistance program comes from federal pandemic relief bills.

Financial assistance is designated for COVID-19 related funeral expenses – dated after January 20, 2020. Those who paid for multiple burials can apply for up to $35,500 in reimbursement.

Applicants must submit a death certificate that indicates the cause of death was likely related to COVID-19 – as well as documents, such as receipts or contracts with a funeral home, showing the costs already paid.

“Now that the details are finalized and the hotline LIVE, we are working to get the word out, to make sure eligible families know to submit an application, how to prepare, and that help is available through a dedicated 800 number,” Schumer said in a statement.

Officials said that if multiple family members contributed to funeral costs, they should file a joint application – with one person registered as the applicant and others listed as co-applicants.

The deceased individual’s documentation status is not considered during the proces, but those applying for reimbursement must be U.S. citizens, legal residents, asylees, refugees or non-citizen nationals.

FEMA noted on its website that there had been some technical issues due to the high call volume on the Funeral Assistance line.

“Please try again later if you get a busy signal or your call doesn’t connect. There is no deadline to apply,” the website stated Tuesday morning.

Those interested in applying should call 844-684-6333, and the call center will be open from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. For more information, visit FEMA’s website.

Ocasio-Cortez said constituents in her Queens and Bronx district can email or call her office at 718-662-5970 during regular business hours.

FEMA has been overwhelmed with interest in the program. Its website Tuesday morning

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946 to 1950 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.