You are reading

Ridgewood Man Convicted of Attempted Murder for Armed Robbery in Corona

A Ridgewood man has been convicted of attempted murder following a June 2020 armed robbery (Photo: iStock)

Aug. 16, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A Ridgewood man has been convicted of attempted murder for shooting and robbing a pedestrian in Corona in June 2020.

Orlando Plummer, 47, was convicted by a judge at Queens Supreme Court Monday for shooting 44-year-old McAntoine Valery and robbing him of his backpack, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

Plummer, of Fresh Pond Road, was found guilty after a two-week trial and faces a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison. Valery had dated the mother of Plummer’s child several years prior to the incident – although it is unclear whether this was a motivating factor behind the attack.

“This defendant shot an innocent man following a violent robbery in broad daylight, leaving him clinging to life,” Queens District Attorney Katz said. “There is no place for such senseless and brutal acts in Queens County.”

According to the charges, Plummer and two accomplices approached Valery as he walked near the intersection of the Horace Harding Expressway and Calloway Street on June 14, 2020, at around 4 p.m. The trio had been following Valery for about 50 minutes before they confronted him.

Plummer and his associates accosted Valery and then began punching him repeatedly, prosecutors said.

Plummer, who was wearing a mask, then hit Valery in the head with a hard object before pulling out a gun and shooting him in the stomach. He then directed his associates to take Valery’s backpack before they all fled the scene on foot. It is unclear what was in the backpack.

Valery was taken to a local hospital where he was treated for gunshot wounds to his abdomen and back, requiring surgery and 36 staples. He also suffered damage to his internal organs.

Prosecutors said they were able to nab Valery after they examined surveillance footage from earlier in the day that showed Plummer near the scene of the incident. The footage captured Plummer in the same clothes and without a mask.

Valery was convicted of attempted murder in the second degree, assault in the first degree, robbery in the first degree, and criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree

He is scheduled for sentencing on Sept. 6.

The incident took place near the intersection of Horace Harding Expressway and Calloway Street (Photo: Google Maps)

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946-50 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.

Man dies in East Elmhurst house fire that left 10 others injured: FDNY

A man was killed in a fire that broke out inside an East Elmhurst home that also left 10 others injured late Friday night, according to the FDNY.

The FDNY received a call regarding the two-alarm fire that broke out just after 11 p.m. in a three-story residential home at 24-37 89th St. on Friday, Jan. 20. FDNY sent 25 units consisting of 106 firefighters and EMS workers to the scene. Additionally, officers from the 115th Precinct responded to the scene.