You are reading

Revel Scooters Shuts Down New York City Service After Second Fatal Crash

Revel moped (Wikipedia) Arun D CC by 2.0

July 28, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The moped-sharing company Revel has shut down its service in New York City today after a second fatal crash occurred in ten days.

Revel announced it would shut down service in the city until further notice just hours after a 32-year-old man died by crashing a Revel scooter into a lamppost in Rego Park early this morning.

“We’re reviewing and strengthening our rider accountability and safety measures and communicating with city officials, and we look forward to serving you again in the near future,” the company posted on Twitter.

The Brooklyn man’s death follows the death of local New York City reporter Nina Kapur on July 18.

Kapur was a passenger on a Revel scooter driven by a 26-year-old man when she was killed. The driver reportedly swerved, which caused both people to be thrown from the moped, police said.

Kapur, 26, was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. She is believed to be the first Revel rider to die in New York City.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city talked with the CEO of Revel this morning about the uptick in fatal crashes. 

“We’ve had two fatalities in [about] a week,” he said at a morning press briefing. “This is an unacceptable state of affairs.”

The city made clear to Revel that the situation is unsatisfactory and unacceptable, he said. 

“We will not allow them to reopen unless we are convinced it can be done safely,” de Blasio said. 

The city will work with the rideshare company to improve its safety, he added. 

Revel first launched in three Brooklyn neighborhoods in 2018 and expanded throughout Brooklyn and Queens last year. In March, the company brought its scooters to Manhattan.

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
F em

Get rid of those scooters quick before more people get hurt. I saw one guy riding against traffic on queens boulevard. No helmet.

Reply
The Truth.

They go against traffic, no helmet, speed – they are reckless riders , no respect for themselves or others.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Romanian nationals busted for ATM skimming scheme that involved more than 600 Queens residents: Feds

The NYPD and federal agents arrested five Romanian nationals living in Queens on Thursday for engaging in a sophisticated ATM skimming operation that involved the theft of bank account information and PIN numbers from more than 600 unsuspecting bank customers from across the borough.

The five men were named in an indictment that was unsealed in Brooklyn federal court charging them with fraud and aggravated identity theft following a long-term investigation by the NYPD, FBI and the Secret Service.

3 men sought for armed robbery in East Elmhurst home invasion near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

The NYPD is looking for three men who allegedly robbed an East Elmhurst man of tens of thousands of dollars during a home invasion early Monday morning.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at a townhouse located at 108-09 Ditmars Blvd. near 29th Avenue just south of LaGuardia Airport.
The victim had pulled up in front of his home just before 2 a.m. when he was approached by three suspects. One of them pulled out a firearm and forced him inside the townhouse where they stole around $30,000 in cash and a safe that contained an unspecified amount of jewelry, before exiting and driving off in a silver four-door SUV, police said.

Corona man criminally charged with sex trafficking for forcing Mexican woman into prostitution: DA

A Corona man has been indicted on sex trafficking charges for allegedly forcing a Mexican woman to engage in prostitution over a three-year period, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Wednesday.

Galindo Capultitla, 39, of 40th Road, was arraigned Tuesday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Peter Vallone Jr. on a seven-count indictment charging him with three counts of sex trafficking and other crimes for forcing the victim to engage in sex for money in Mexico and the United States, including in Queens. During the victim’s three-year ordeal, Capultitla allegedly hit and choked her—and even threatened to kill her family in Mexico—if she failed to hand over the money gained through sex.