You are reading

Residents May Have to Wait Until the Beginning of July Before Restaurants Can Reopen For Outdoor Dining

(Ed Reed/ Mayoral Photography Office)

June 16, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City residents may have to wait longer before they can get a haircut or eat out, as Mayor Bill de Blasio warned today it could take longer than expected to reach Phase 2 of reopening.

The city is the only region of the 10 regions in the state still in Phase 1 of the governor’s reopening plan.

De Blasio said it may take New York City until the beginning of July to enter the second phase, a little over three weeks from the date the city entered Phase 1. The nine other regions spent just two weeks in Phase one–and have permitted the reopening of barbershops, hair salons and outdoor dining at restaurants as part of the second phase.

The state requires regions to wait at least two weeks before going from Phase 1 to Phase 2. An evaluation is then made by state and local officials– and they can then enter the second phase if COVID-19 is under control.

The Big Apple could enter Phase 2 as early as Monday, June 22 — when it hits the two week mark itself — but de Blasio has warned city residents not to get their hopes up just yet.

New York City has been the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States, but data shows it is finally managing to control the spread of the virus.

Just 2 percent of city residents tested for the virus had positive results, according to the latest Health Department data released Sunday. The city has also met the state’s seven COVID-related required benchmarks for reopening.

But de Blasio said the city must wait before reopening and needs to make sure there isn’t a new spike in COVID-19 cases given the large protests that have taken place so far this month.

“We certainly saw an aberrant reality with the protest activity, we want to know what that has resulted in in terms of the spread of the disease or maybe it hasn’t,” de Blasio said. “We don’t know that answer yet because not enough time has passed.”

The vast majority of protesters have been wearing face masks and all protests have been outdoors, where the virus is more difficult to spread, he noted.

The mayor said there still is a possibility that the city could enter Phase 2 next week.

“We will be ready next week if the indicators and the discussions with the state tell us that we’re ready to go next week,’ de Blasio said.

Under phase two, retail stores can open in-store shopping. Some offices, places of worship, real estate offices and car dealerships can also reopen with limited capacities.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
DeBlasio city ?

Because of this Mayor a lot of stores will be going out of business, people still without jobs, NYPD can’t do their job, criminals have more rights than the victim. Insanity Mayor DeBlasio.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.