You are reading

Rego Park Man Convicted of Murder in Stabbing Death of His Pregnant Girlfriend in Ridgewood

Jennifer Irigoyen, pictured, was stabbed to death in her Ridgewood apartment by Anthony Hobson (Facebook)

Jan. 26, 2022 By Christian Murray

A Rego Park man was convicted of murder Tuesday for viciously stabbing his pregnant girlfriend to death inside her Ridgewood apartment building in February 2019.

Anthony Hobson, 51, was convicted by a jury in Queens criminal court of killing 35-year-old Jennifer Irigoyen, who was 12 weeks pregnant and had a young son. He faces 25 years to life in prison for the brutal murder when he is sentenced Feb. 17.

Hobson, according to trial testimony, attacked Irigoyen inside her 60-80 Myrtle Ave. apartment building at around 1 a.m. on Feb. 3, 2019.

He dragged her from her third-floor apartment into the stairway of the building, where he stabbed her multiple times in the neck and stomach.

“Help! Help! He’s trying to kill the baby!” a neighbor heard Irigoyen screaming. The neighbor ran into the hallway and saw Hobson pulling her into the stairwell.

The witness said Hobson was using what appeared to be a steak knife to stab her.

Irigoyen suffered puncture wounds to her neck, chest and abdomen, along with numerous other injuries. She was transported to an area hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Hobson left the scene with the murder weapon, which was never recovered. He fled to Pennsylvania but turned himself in to law enforcement five days after the murder.

“The defendant has been convicted and held responsible for taking the life of a woman, who was the mother of a young son and was also approximately 12 weeks pregnant,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz. “This was a horrific crime – the victim was stabbed repeatedly inside the stairway of her apartment building. The defendant now faces a lengthy prison sentence from the Court.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.