You are reading

Ramos: High School Design Will Change, Follows Heavy Criticism

A rendering of H.S. 472 planned for 51-30 Northern Blvd. in Woodside. The rendering fronts onto Northern Boulevard (SCA)

June 14, 2020 By Christian Murray

The rendering of a high school slated to go up on Northern Boulevard was released last week and its design was not lavished with praise.

State Sen. Jessica Ramos, whose district borders the school site, as well as many residents said it looked like more like a jail than a school. The rendering–first released by the Queens Post– was subject to harsh criticism on social media.

Ramos said that she was not happy with the design and called the School Construction Authority for it to change. She said it was out of character to the neighborhood and that a more traditional design was needed—like P.S. 398 Q/ The Hector Figueroa School that opened in September 2019.

The SCA plans to build a 3,079-seat high school at 51-30 Northern Blvd., on the site of the former Sports Authority and adjacent parking lot. The initial plans called for a six-story building.

“I picked up the phone and called [School Construction Authority] Commissioner Lorraine Grillo,” Ramos said. “She assured me that they would rethink it and come up with a new design.”

Ramos said she was disappointed that the SCA did not seek community feedback as it put the design together. She said she saw the design for the first time on social media.

Ramos said that she was assured that the community would become more involved in the design.

The school will house three high school programs, including a District 75 program for students with specialized needs. The SCA aims to open it in September 2023, although that date may change. Progress has been slowed due to the coronavirus pandemic, a SCA spokesperson said.

The school is being built at 51-30 Northern Blvd., which incorporates the former Sports Authority and adjacent parking area (Photo: Queens Post)

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Anonymous

The school should be Grades 6-12 instead of two high schools! It should have a Middle School and a High School and District 75 inside! The Middle School being built on Barnett Avenue isn’t big enough to take three years of students graduating from PS 150, PS 11 and PS 361 when at full capacity! IS 230 and IS 145 are overcrowded and they are building newer elementary schools like PS 398. Where are these students going to middle school in a few years? In a few years they will be looking for more middle school space in the area, so why not be ready now with the new building having a middle school and a high school? I hope State Senator Ramos addresses this with SCA , too! We are in a budget crisis that will last for years to come and running out of locations in the area to buy. So if the city already bought a large lot and building this structure now, let us plan ahead for the neighborhood’s needs in a few years for another middle school.

Reply
Javier

That school site will need at LEAST 2 crossing guards as it is a 3 way intersection. God be with all those young kids who will have to cross Northern Blvd in the 15 seconds that it takes for those lights to change.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Romanian nationals busted for ATM skimming scheme that involved more than 600 Queens residents: Feds

The NYPD and federal agents arrested five Romanian nationals living in Queens on Thursday for engaging in a sophisticated ATM skimming operation that involved the theft of bank account information and PIN numbers from more than 600 unsuspecting bank customers from across the borough.

The five men were named in an indictment that was unsealed in Brooklyn federal court charging them with fraud and aggravated identity theft following a long-term investigation by the NYPD, FBI and the Secret Service.

3 men sought for armed robbery in East Elmhurst home invasion near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

The NYPD is looking for three men who allegedly robbed an East Elmhurst man of tens of thousands of dollars during a home invasion early Monday morning.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at a townhouse located at 108-09 Ditmars Blvd. near 29th Avenue just south of LaGuardia Airport.
The victim had pulled up in front of his home just before 2 a.m. when he was approached by three suspects. One of them pulled out a firearm and forced him inside the townhouse where they stole around $30,000 in cash and a safe that contained an unspecified amount of jewelry, before exiting and driving off in a silver four-door SUV, police said.

Corona man criminally charged with sex trafficking for forcing Mexican woman into prostitution: DA

A Corona man has been indicted on sex trafficking charges for allegedly forcing a Mexican woman to engage in prostitution over a three-year period, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Wednesday.

Galindo Capultitla, 39, of 40th Road, was arraigned Tuesday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Peter Vallone Jr. on a seven-count indictment charging him with three counts of sex trafficking and other crimes for forcing the victim to engage in sex for money in Mexico and the United States, including in Queens. During the victim’s three-year ordeal, Capultitla allegedly hit and choked her—and even threatened to kill her family in Mexico—if she failed to hand over the money gained through sex.