You are reading

Queens Undergoes a Spike in Suicides as COVID-19 Crisis Rolls On

(Luca Bravo Unsplash)

April 29, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Suicides in Queens have soared since COVID-19 broke out.

The rate has doubled in the past six weeks compared to the same period in 2019, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

The alarming numbers come at a time when Queens is being hit hard by the virus. The borough has experienced more COVID-19 confirmed deaths than any other in the city.

There were 16 reported suicides in Queens County between March 15 and April 28, the data shows. By comparison, there were eight suicides in Queens County for the same period last year – March 15, 2019 – April 28, 2019.

The figures indicate that COVID-19 – which has killed as many as 5,000 borough residents – is also having an emotional impact on the World’s Borough.

“There is a mental health component to this health crisis that needs our attention,” Queens District Attorney’s Melinda Katz said in a statement.

“Since this pandemic began the numbers of suicides in Queens County have soared, she said.

The statewide economic shutdown began on March 22 but restrictions on mass gathering had gone into effect in the city earlier. Mayor de Blasio shuttered bars and restaurants on March 17, except for takeout and delivery. Schools closed on March 16.

Katz said that nobody is immune from the emotional distress of the virus and called on residents to look out for one another.

“Check in on each other because nobody should be alone in this and there is absolutely no shame in reaching out for help.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Captain America ??

Deal with your problems. suicide doesn’t resolve anything. Be part if the solution.

3
2
Reply
The truth hurts .

Suicide is not the answer, it does not solve the problem, it creates more problems for the people self behind to deal with your death.
Stop being selfish. deal with the issue.

3
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man charged with rape and kidnapping for attacks on 13-year-olds in Flushing park: DA

Ecuadorean migrant Christian Inga was criminally charged Wednesday with first-degree rape, two counts of kidnapping, predatory sexual assault, and other crimes for attacking two 13-year-olds who were in Kissena Corridor Park in the middle of the afternoon on June 13.

He allegedly held the two children at knifepoint in a wooded area where he tied the hands of the boy and girl together with a shoelace and then raped the girl.