You are reading

Queens DA’s Homicide Chief Resigns, Follows Revelation That He Withheld Evidence in 1996 Murder Case

Queens DA Melinda Katz (Photo: Instagram @queensdakatz)

March 30, 2021 By Christina Santucci

A Queens prosecutor – who a judge said had “deliberately” withheld key evidence in a 1996 double murder case that ended with the wrongful conviction of three men – has stepped down from the Queens District Attorney’s office.

Brad Leventhal, who was the DA’s long-time Homicide Bureau Chief, has resigned from his position, according to news reports.

Earlier this month, a judge vacated the wrongful conviction against the three men–George Bell, Rohan Bolt and Gary Johnson– which Leventhal prosecuted.

The men had served 24 years in prison for the killings of Ira “Mike” Epstein and NYPD Officer Charles Davis during a botched robbery in Astoria on Dec. 21, 1996.

Leventhal’s resignation was first reported Monday by QNS.com. A DA spokesperson told the news outlet that the decision was based on “mutual concern that his continued employment had become a distraction from the critical, on-going work of the office.”

Bell, Bolt and Johnson were released from prison March 5 after Judge Joseph Zayas found that the Queens District Attorney’s office and case prosecutors, Leventhal and Charles Testagrossa, had deliberately withheld key information about other suspects that raised doubt of the defendants’ guilt.

In his 29-page decision, Judge Zayas found that the prosecution had “completely abdicated its truth-seeking role.”

“Under no circumstances could the prosecutors in these cases have reasonably believed” that the information did not have to be disclosed to attorneys for Bell, Bolt and Johnson, he wrote.

“The Court, moreover, agrees with the parties that there is, at the very least, a reasonable possibility that, had this suppressed evidence been disclosed, the outcome of these trials would have been different,” Judge Zayas wrote.

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz has until June to decide whether to retry the three men, who are scheduled to appear in court June 4.

Leventhal’s departure from the DA’s office follows his resignation from his adjunct teaching position at St. John’s University School of Law.

The Queens DA’s office and Leventhal were not immediately available for comment.

Fellow case prosecutor, Testagrossa, also resigned from his job as the Nassau County District Attorney’s executive of the investigation’s division earlier this month.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Cop injured by glass bottle thrown from 7 train station on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

An on-duty NYPD police officer was injured while standing on a foot post when he was struck by a glass bottle that was thrown from the 103rd Street-Corona Plaza, 7 train station above Roosevelt Avenue early Monday morning.

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst reported that the officer was in uniform standing in front of 103-28 Roosevelt Ave. just before 2 a.m., when a man threw the bottle from the Flushing-bound platform. It struck the officer’s head, causing a laceration and a concussion.

Op-ed: An urgent call for revising NY’s criminal justice reforms to protect public safety

Apr. 11, 2024 By Council Member Robert Holden

In 2019, the State Legislature and Governor Andrew Cuomo embarked on a controversial overhaul of New York’s criminal justice system by enacting several laws, including cashless bail and sweeping changes to discovery laws. Simultaneously, the New York City Council passed laws that compounded these challenges, notably the elimination of punitive segregation in city jails and qualified immunity for police officers. These actions have collectively undermined public safety and constrained law enforcement effectiveness.

City employee charged in fatal collision that killed a Middle Village woman in Elmhurst last month: NYPD

A truck driver for the city’s Department of Environmental Protection was arrested and charged in a fatal collision in Elmhurst last month.

Roderick Mitchell, 38, of Valley Stream, Long Island, turned himself in at the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst, where he was charged with failure to yield and failure to exercise due care for striking 43-year-old Natalia Garcia-Valencia of Middle Village on the morning of Tuesday, Mar. 12.