You are reading

Queens COVID-19 Yellow Zone to Remain, Cuomo Says

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Mike Groll/Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

Jan. 27, 2021 By Allie Griffin

The northern Queens COVID-19 zone will remain in place despite Governor Andrew Cuomo lifting similar restrictions on other zones across the state Wednesday.

The yellow zone that covers portions of northern and central Queens is among five zones across the state that will remain. The five zones — which also include two in the Bronx, one in Manhattan and one in Newburgh — have the highest hospital admissions per capita statewide.

All other yellow and slightly stricter orange zones were removed across the state. The COVID-19 positivity rates of those 23 zones decreased, Cuomo said.

Businesses, schools and houses of worship that operate in the yellow zones, including in Queens,  continue to face elevated restrictions. There are additional restrictions on restaurant dining; strict limits on the number of attendees at houses of worship; and students are required to undergo stringent COVID-19 testing at schools in the zone.

Cuomo also said during a press conference Wednesday that he is developing a plan for indoor dining for restaurants in New York City — which has been banned since mid-December.

He is discussing whether to open it back up at 25 percent capacity with health officials, and plans to make an announcement by the end of the week, he said.

“By the end of the week, we’ll have a plan on New York City restaurants,” Cuomo said. “I fully understand how difficult it is that they’re closed.”

Indoor dining is currently allowed at 25 percent capacity in every region of New York other than the city.

Several NYC restaurant owners have filed lawsuits against the governor, arguing that they have lost revenue due to the restrictions placed on indoor dining.

Northeast Queens micro-cluster yellow zone (NY State)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metroplitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.