You are reading

Queens Boulevard Redesign, Two Years Behind Schedule, Delayed Once Again Due to Pandemic

Transit Advocates at a past rally urging the mayor to finish the Queens Boulevard Redesign project (Transportation Alternatives – Queens)

May 13, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The final stretch of the Queens Boulevard Redesign project has hit yet another setback — this time in the form of a global pandemic.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) was planning to begin construction of the fourth and final phase to make the busy boulevard safer for cyclists and pedestrians this summer — with the project expected to be completed by the end of 2020.

The project — already a full two years behind schedule — will be further delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic, DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg said during a City Council hearing Tuesday.

The redesign must be reviewed by the State Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration before the NYC DOT can move forward with construction — and that review process has been paused due to the pandemic.

“As the Commissioner said at the hearing, that process had been on track, but has been delayed due to the Covid-19 crisis,” a DOT spokesperson said. “Once that review is complete, DOT will be able to provide a more detailed timeline for implementing this critical safety project.”

The DOT was expected to begin installing protected bicycle lanes, shortening pedestrian crossings and implementing other traffic safety features to the Forest Hills stretch from Yellowstone Boulevard to Union Turnpike in summer 2018 — but the work was pushed back to summer 2020.

The final phase has been repeatedly delayed due to opposition from the local community board and Council Member Karen Koslowitz who said the resulting loss of 200 parking spots would hurt small businesses along the boulevard.

Koslowitz put forward an alternative plan, which would save the parking spots, at a town hall with the mayor in February, which he agreed to review. However, transit advocates claimed her plan was unsafe and worried its review would add to the delays.

The department still hopes to begin the installation later this year.

“DOT remains committed to the Queens Boulevard redesign, and hopes to be able to implement the project starting later this year,” the spokesperson said.

The revamp will be the final phase of the 7.5-mile overhaul of Queens Boulevard, from Sunnyside to Kew Gardens, that began in 2015 in order to reduce the number of pedestrian and cyclists deaths along the road.

Queens Boulevard Redesign (DOT)

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Romanian nationals busted for ATM skimming scheme that involved more than 600 Queens residents: Feds

The NYPD and federal agents arrested five Romanian nationals living in Queens on Thursday for engaging in a sophisticated ATM skimming operation that involved the theft of bank account information and PIN numbers from more than 600 unsuspecting bank customers from across the borough.

The five men were named in an indictment that was unsealed in Brooklyn federal court charging them with fraud and aggravated identity theft following a long-term investigation by the NYPD, FBI and the Secret Service.

3 men sought for armed robbery in East Elmhurst home invasion near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

The NYPD is looking for three men who allegedly robbed an East Elmhurst man of tens of thousands of dollars during a home invasion early Monday morning.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at a townhouse located at 108-09 Ditmars Blvd. near 29th Avenue just south of LaGuardia Airport.
The victim had pulled up in front of his home just before 2 a.m. when he was approached by three suspects. One of them pulled out a firearm and forced him inside the townhouse where they stole around $30,000 in cash and a safe that contained an unspecified amount of jewelry, before exiting and driving off in a silver four-door SUV, police said.

Corona man criminally charged with sex trafficking for forcing Mexican woman into prostitution: DA

A Corona man has been indicted on sex trafficking charges for allegedly forcing a Mexican woman to engage in prostitution over a three-year period, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Wednesday.

Galindo Capultitla, 39, of 40th Road, was arraigned Tuesday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Peter Vallone Jr. on a seven-count indictment charging him with three counts of sex trafficking and other crimes for forcing the victim to engage in sex for money in Mexico and the United States, including in Queens. During the victim’s three-year ordeal, Capultitla allegedly hit and choked her—and even threatened to kill her family in Mexico—if she failed to hand over the money gained through sex.