You are reading

Officials Cut Ribbon on $1.8 Million Revamp of Doughboy Plaza in Woodside

The Doughboy Monument (Photo: NYC Parks)

Dec. 17, 2021 By Christian Murray

The Parks Department has overhauled Doughboy Plaza in Woodside and Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer and city officials were on hand Thursday to cut the ribbon.

The plaza, which features a “Doughboy” monument that commemorates those who served in World War I, has undergone a $1.8 million makeover. The work began in October 2020 and was completed in about 12 months.

“This is a sacred space in Woodside and is now much more dignified,” said Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer. “It’s a fitting tribute to our brave service men and women who fought on the front lines.”

The plaza, located on the corner of Woodside Avenue between 54th and 56th streets, had fallen into disrepair. The plaza had not been renovated since 2001, Van Bramer said, and no work had been done on the statue since 1990.

The plaza has been re-paved with bluestone pavement and the area includes several new benches. The existing flagpole was re-constructed and the WWI memorial stone tablets were relocated within a planting bed around the Doughboy statue. The statue has also been upgraded.

The landscape beds were planted with new trees, shrubs and groundcovers. The existing memorial walls feature a new granite veneer. The new veneer surrounds the 9-11 Memorial Plaque.

Gone are the uneven cobble stones, the distinctive white and green walls, and the old benches.

The revamped Doughboy Plaza (Photo: Queens Post)

The plaza is a central focal point of the 1.73-acre Doughboy Park. The project also included resodding the grass areas in the park—which is currently taking place– and included the completion of the staircase leading up to the dog run.

Doughboy Plaza before the upgrade (Photo: Queens Post)

“Woodside’s Doughboy Park now has a brand new bluestone plaza, making it a worthy space to recognize and honor all of the soldiers who gave their lives in service to their country,” said Queens Borough Parks Commissioner Michael Dockett. “We are thrilled that this project was completed in time for the community to enjoy it over the fall season, and we’re grateful to Council Member Van Bramer for his support on this transformative project.”

The “Doughboy” monument paying tribute to WW1 veterans went up in the park in 1923. Other monuments have been added since. A stone panel was installed in 2001 listing the names of the eleven major WW1 campaigns in which Americans fought, and then in 2006 a Sept. 11 memorial plaque was added dedicated to the 34 people from Woodside who died in the attacks .

A Doughboy is an informal term for an American infantryman, particularly those who fought in the trenches during WW1.

The WWI memorial stone tablets (Photo: NYC Parks)

9-11 Memorial Plaque (Photo: Queens Post)

The ribbon cutting (Photo: NYC Parks)

The entranceway to the plaza, as well as the staircase to the dog run (NYC Parks)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metroplitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.