You are reading

NYC Public School Families Will Have Just One Chance to Opt Back Into Blended Learning

(Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office)

Oct. 26, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City public school families will have just one chance to opt into in-person classes for the rest of the school year — beginning next week.

Families who had opted into fully-remote classes, but now want to switch back to the city’s blended learning model — in which students attend classes in person on some weekdays and remotely on other days — can do so anytime from Nov. 2 through Nov. 15, the city announced Monday.

“The pandemic has caused so much uncertainty in every aspect of life and for families who needed a bit more time to feel comfortable sending their children back, now is that time,” Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza said.

The two-week period, however, is the only time families can switch back to the hybrid class structure, he announced.

The announcement is a departure from what the Department of Education (DOE) had previously said — that parents would be able to enroll their children back into blended learning on a quarterly basis.

Carranza said the department limited the enrollment to one window to avoid confusion.

“This will be the only time to opt in, which is a change from what we originally had said over the summer,” he said during a press conference today. “We think this is better for the sake of stability for all students, for families and educators.”

The DOE extended the opt-in window to 14 days from what was originally planned since it will be the only time parents can decide to send their children back to school buildings.

Meanwhile parents can enroll their children to full remote learning at any time. More and more parents have been doing so since classes began in September.

Less than half of the 1.1 million New York City public school students are now enrolled in blended learning.

Carranza said the number of in-person learners is lower than the DOE had anticipated as many families may have been hesitant to send their kids back into classrooms initially.

He said the numbers now show that public schools are safe and can give parents a sense of security to send their children back to school buildings.

The COVID-19 positivity rate at city public schools is just .15 percent, according to the latest data, Mayor Bill de Blasio said at the press briefing.

“We are seeing more and more evidence of just how safe our schools are and more and more evidence that kids are benefitting from in-person education,” de Blasio said.

Parents can enroll their children into blended learning by filling out an online form, beginning next week.

“Now that we’ve been able to show how our schools are working, it’s time for an opt-in period,” de Blasio said. “It’s time to give parents and kids a chance to come back into school if they’re all remote right now.”

Students who enroll in blended learning during the two-week window will return for their first day of in-person classes between Nov. 30 and Dec. 7, according to a DOE spokesperson.

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
What's happening to NYC ?

NYC school chancellor Richard Carranza is causing more headaches, more chaos , he doesn’t want to deal with the situation anymore. Sweep it under the rug and forget about it is his attitude. With the Mayor acting the way he is & the school chancellor not caring about the students and teachers there will be no future for NYC. New York is falling apart because of people like this, not because of the pandemic. Blame Mayor Bill DeBlasio and his administration, his “yes men”.

Reply
Big Bird & Mr. Mariachi

What a mess , the DOE had almost 6 months to prepare and both Mayor Bill DeBlasio and school chancellor Richard Carranza couldn’t come up with a plan . Too much confusion, chaos in the system. Everybody ( students, teachers & parents ) loses because of their failure. Mayor Bill DeBlasio and school chancellor Richard Carranza should be fired and fined for dereliction of duty.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

Woman sought for slashing cabbie during a robbery near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

Police are searching for a woman who attacked a cab driver in East Elmhurst during a robbery more than two weeks ago.

The incident occurred in the early morning hours of Sunday, Feb. 11 after the cabbie picked up the suspect in Manhattan. The driver told investigators that the woman initially wanted to be taken to LaGuardia Airport but instead decided to be dropped off  nearby in front of 89-00 23rd Ave. at around 2 a.m.