You are reading

NYC Eateries Can Increase Their Indoor Dining Capacity to 50 Percent Next Week

Indoor dining (Photo: Queens Post)

March 10, 2021 By Allie Griffin

New York City eateries will be permitted to increase indoor dining to 50 percent capacity starting on March 19, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Wednesday.

Cuomo upped the capacity from its current level of 35 percent in a joint announcement with Governor Phil Murphy of New Jersey. Murphy said New Jersey eateries would be allowed the same increase–to 50 percent.

Outside of the city, restaurants across New York state will be able to fill their dining rooms to 75 percent capacity starting March 19. Those restaurant are currently allowed to operate at 50 percent capacity.

“In New York State, our decisions are based on science and data and we are encouraged by the continued decline in infection and hospitalization rates,” Cuomo said in a statement. “In partnership with the State of New Jersey, we are expanding our indoor dining openings in New York City to 50 percent.”

New York City restaurant owners have been pleading with Cuomo to increase indoor capacity to 50 percent for weeks after he first allowed indoor dining to resume in the city at 25 percent capacity last month.

Since New York City indoor dining was reopened on Feb. 12, there hasn’t been a significant rise in infection and hospitalization rates, according to the state.

“We will continue to follow the science and react accordingly,” Cuomo said. “If we keep the infections down and vaccinations up, we will continue to stay ahead in the footrace against this invisible enemy and reach the light at the end of the tunnel together.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.