You are reading

New Yorkers as Young as 60 Can Get the COVID-19 Vaccine Starting Wednesday

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Mike Groll/Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

March 9, 2021 By Allie Griffin

New Yorkers as young as 60 will be eligible to be vaccinated for COVID-19 starting Wednesday, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today.

Cuomo lowered the current vaccine-eligibility age — which is 65 in the state — by five years. He also expanded eligibility to additional categories of essential workers, who will be able to receive the vaccine in about a week.

Those 60 and older will be able to make appointments–and get the vaccine–starting at 8 a.m. tomorrow, he said.

Meanwhile, public-facing government workers, nonprofit workers and essential building services workers will be able to receive the COVID-19 shot beginning March 17, Cuomo announced.

The three categories include people such as public works employees, social service and child service caseworkers, government inspectors, sanitation workers, DMV workers, County Clerks, building service workers and election workers.

Cuomo said he has been able to expand eligibility since the supply of the vaccine has increased.

“Supply is steadily increasing and we’re opening new vaccination sites and expanding eligibility to match it,” he said in a statement.

“New Yorkers over 60 years old and those who serve their fellow New Yorkers in the public sector are more vulnerable to COVID-19, and we’re addressing that vulnerability by providing access to the vaccine.”

To make an appointment go to https://vax4nyc.nyc.gov/patient/s/  or call 877-VAX-4NYC or 877-829-4692

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metroplitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.