You are reading

New York City Can Reopen Indoor Dining at End of Month, Cuomo Says

(Unsplash)

Sept. 9, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City restaurants will be able to serve patrons indoors at the end of the month, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Wednesday.

Indoor dining will resume in the city beginning Sept. 30 at a reduced capacity, Cuomo said.

Restaurants will be able to seat patrons inside at 25 percent of their normal capacity but are not permitted to have bar service.

The announcement comes after restaurants have shuttered their indoor dining rooms for nearly six months in accordance with the state and city regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Restaurant owners and local officials have pushed Cuomo to reopen indoor dining for weeks. In one Queens neighborhood that borders Long Island, a restaurant owner sued Cuomo over the lack of indoor dining in the five boroughs.

Indoor dining has been open in all other regions of New York State since at least June. Furthermore, restaurants in those regions can have customers at 50 percent capacity inside their dining rooms.

Cuomo said indoor dining can increase to 50 percent capacity if the infection rate in New York City doesn’t increase by Nov. 1. He added that the state could decide to increase the capacity level before Nov. 1, but that date would be the deadline.

Cuomo’s decision came after he said the city must have an enforcement mechanism in place for indoor dining to return yesterday, citing poor compliance among bars and restaurants.

He said the state task force  — made up of the state police and State Liquor Authority (SLA) — charged with enforcement has successfully increased compliance in New York City.

“Because the compliance has gotten better, we can now take the next step,” Cuomo said.

He said the state will expand the taskforce and the city will commit 400 additional inspectors to work with the state task force.

Cuomo is also asking New Yorkers to assist with compliance by alerting officials when they see a restaurant disobeying COVID-19 regulations, such as the 25 percent capacity by calling or texting the task force hotline.

“I’m asking New Yorkers to be part of the solution,” Cuomo said. “I believe in New Yorkers ability to do the right thing.”

New Yorkers will keep each others safe, he said.

The state will shut down indoor dining in New York City if there is a spike in the infection rate. If the rate reaches 2 percent in New York City, the state and city will reassess indoor dining.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.

Cop injured by glass bottle thrown from 7 train station on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

An on-duty NYPD police officer was injured while standing on a foot post when he was struck by a glass bottle that was thrown from the 103rd Street-Corona Plaza, 7 train station above Roosevelt Avenue early Monday morning.

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst reported that the officer was in uniform standing in front of 103-28 Roosevelt Ave. just before 2 a.m., when a man threw the bottle from the Flushing-bound platform. It struck the officer’s head, causing a laceration and a concussion.