You are reading

New lighting to come to Roosevelt Ave., in effort to combat crime

Old light (being replaced)

Old light (being replaced)

May 28, 2015 By Michael Florio

As a mean to increase public safety, new lampposts and LED lights are being installed along Roosevelt Avenue from 90th Street to 111th Street.

The new lighting will replace the current fixtures, thereby increasing visibility underneath the elevated No. 7 train, according to Councilwoman Julissa Ferreras and the Department of Transportation.

Contractors began installing the lights last week and the DOT expects the work to be done by the fall.

The $500,000 project will illuminate an area that encompasses a senior center and four public schools, including P.S. 19 and P.S. 307, which are located directly on Roosevelt Avenue.

“Having lived on Roosevelt Avenue, I was eyewitness to the challenges it has with regard to safety,” Ferreras said. “Roosevelt Avenue is a vibrant representation of this community, and today we are giving it the treatment and attention it deserves.”

The old light fixtures gave off an orange glow, while the new ones will allow residents to see more clearly at night, Ferreras said.

Roosevelt Avenue is also set to receive $350,000 in light upgrades from 82nd Street to 90th Street. Residents voted for the project as part of Participatory Budgeting process, where residents got to vote on how $1 million should be spent.

“The improved lighting enhances visibility for all, boosts the look of the streetscape and saves on energy costs,” said DOT Queens Borough Commissioner Nicole Garcia.

Councilwoman Ferr and new LED light

Councilwoman Ferreras
and new lights

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Long_Time_Resident

This is definitely needed along with many beat cops at night and during the day.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man charged with rape and kidnapping for attacks on 13-year-olds in Flushing park: DA

Ecuadorean migrant Christian Inga was criminally charged Wednesday with first-degree rape, two counts of kidnapping, predatory sexual assault, and other crimes for attacking two 13-year-olds who were in Kissena Corridor Park in the middle of the afternoon on June 13.

He allegedly held the two children at knifepoint in a wooded area where he tied the hands of the boy and girl together with a shoelace and then raped the girl.