You are reading

Neir’s Tavern Wins $40K National Grant Awarded to Historic Restaurants

Neir’s Tavern (Photo: Neir’s Tavern Facebook)

May 20, 2021 By Ryan Songalia

A historic tavern in Woodhaven will receive a much-needed financial grant in recognition of its cultural significance.

Neir’s Tavern, which opened in 1829, was one of 25 restaurants that will receive a $40,000 grant from American Express and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, a Washington D.C. based non-profit.

The funds are awarded to restaurant owners to help then cover the cost of upgrading the exterior of their building; add or enhance their outdoor seating areas; and upgrade their online business services.

Loycent Gordon, who bought Neir’s Tavern in 2009, told the Queens Post in an e-mail that he will use the money to fix the tavern’s outdoor sign, upgrade the awning and do general repairs.

He said that he aims to buy the 87-48 78th St. building that he currently occupies and that the funds will help.

“The ultimate goal for me and our Neir’s community is to preserve this small corner of NYC history and keep Neir’s Tavern open for its 200th birthday and beyond,” said Gordon, who is also an FDNY lieutenant.

In addition to cash, the grant program, known as “Backing Historic Small Restaurants”, also offers products and services, including up to $5,000 in digital upgrades from AT&T Business and Dell Technologies, as well as complimentary one-year use of American Express’s Resy platform for managing restaurant operations.

The bar has faced serious financial challenges in recent times. The bar was set to close for good on Jan. 12, 2020 after Gordon’s landlord sought to increase the rent to $5,400 a month, an increase of over $2,000 per month.

A concerted effort by the bar’s loyal customers, who formed a group known as the Neir’s 190 group (named after how many years the bar had been open), led to a media campaign to save it that got the attention of Mayor Bill de Blasio.

De Blasio, local officials and Tom Grech, the President and CEO of the Queens Chamber of Commerce, helped negotiate a handshake deal for a more affordable rent increase and a five-year lease, said Joanna Leis, a spokesperson for the watering hole.

Months later, the COVID-19 pandemic led to the bar closing shop from April 1 to June 26 before it reopened at reduced capacity. The bar continued to pay its staff through the closure, Leis said.

Though Gov. Andrew Cuomo has lifted capacity restrictions on bars and restaurants, Gordon says that the tavern will continue to abide by social distancing guidelines, “which doesn’t allow for full capacity.”

Leis said it was the tavern’s supporters, now known as Neir’s 200, who made Gordon aware of the $40,000 grant program.

Neir’s, which describes itself as “the most famous bar you’ve never heard of,” was the setting for several blockbuster films including “Goodfellas” in 1990, and the 2011 movie “Tower Heist” starring Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy.

Though McSorley’s Ale House in the East Village is frequently credited with being the oldest bar still operating in New York, the Queens Historical Society says that Neir’s Tavern is older—opening 25 years prior to it.

Tavern owner Loycent Gordon and Mayor Bill de Blasio at Neir’s Tavern in Woodhaven, one of the oldest bars in NYC (Ed Reed/Mayoral Photography Office)

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946 to 1950 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.