You are reading

Nearly $325,000 in Funding to Support Senior Services in Queens Is Restored

unSplash

Jan. 12, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

Nearly $325,000 in funding to support senior services in Queens has been restored, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards announced Monday.

The funding, which had been eliminated from last year’s city budget, will be allocated to senior centers and home care service providers in Queens.

The funds are being allocated through the borough president’s discretionary Department for the Aging (DFTA) fund, which had been removed from the FY2021 budget — the city’s initial budget following the onset of the pandemic. Elected officials made the cut as part of the city’s efforts to tackle the anticipated budget crisis stemming from the virus.

“Our elders disproportionally bore the brunt of the COVID-19 pandemic,” Richards said in a statement. “From food and housing insecurity to isolation and the virus itself, which has proven to be deadliest for older individuals, the obstacles our seniors have faced these past two years are numerous.”

Richards said he has already reached out to senior service providers throughout Queens with regards to distributing the funds.

“I look forward to working with our senior service providers to help improve the lives of the more than 300,000 elders who proudly call Queens home,” Richards said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.

Law enforcement ghost car crackdowns continue with dozens of vehicles seized on Whitestone Bridge: MTA

MTA Bridge and Tunnel officers, the NYPD and law enforcement partners impounded 55 vehicles from motorists crossing into Queens on the Whitestone Bridge on Monday, July 8, as a multi-agency crackdown continued unabated.

Governor Kathy Hochul announced on Tuesday that through 25 joint enforcement operations focusing on ghost plates and persistent toll violators on bridges and tunnels throughout New York City, 1,540 vehicles have been impounded, 339 arrests have been made and 12,007 summonses have been issued so far this year to drivers who owe more than $12.5 million in unpaid tolls and fees.