You are reading

MTA Offering a $10,000 Reward for Tips on 7-Train Window Smasher

7 train with broken glass (Twitter: @TripleG_RTO)

Aug. 24, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of a serial 7-train window smasher.

There have been more than 70 incidents involving broken subway windows since May, according to MTA and NYPD officials. The damage totals more than $300,000, MTA Chairman Pat Foye said at a press conference today.

Foye announced the reward for tips leading to the arrest and indictment of the “sociopath” responsible for the 7-train damage today. The $10,000 is in addition to the $2,500 reward provided by the NYPD Crime Stoppers.

He said he hopes that prosecutors put the perpetrator in prison, adding that it would send a message to the public that this is not to be tolerated.

Foye said the MTA will also pursue civil litigation against the perpetrator in an attempt to recover the costs associated with replacing the smashed windows.

Last year such vandalism was “virtually nonexistent,” Jason Savino, Commanding Officer of the NYPD Central Robbery Division said at the press conference.  “Now it’s prominent. It’s a growing problem.”

“We need the public’s help,” he said. “Put on your little detective shields.”

Windows have been smashed on the 7, 2 and 3 subway lines. There have been 53 such incidents in Manhattan, 14 in Queens, two in Brooklyn and one in the Bronx since May.

A witness filmed a man smashing a 7-train window with a hammer on Aug.1 and sent it to the NYPD, which released a photo of the man in hopes someone can identify him.

Last night, a vandal targeted the 7 train yet again, according to Pat Warren, Chief Safety Officer of the MTA. He said four windows were smashed.

“It continues to be an infuriating problem for the MTA and everyone in New York City,” Warren said. “This is your money, this is your time on the trains and the inconvenience costs you.”

Trains must be pulled from service for the windows to be replaced. Repairing the trains has caused delays, impacting riders from Woodside, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst and Sunnyside..

The officials wouldn’t say if they believe the damage was the work of one individual or multiple people.

Foye was asked whether spending $10,000 on a reward made sense for the cash-strapped agency.

“This person … has already cost us $300,000, trains have been taken out of service, hundreds of thousands of customers have been disrupted, and clearly offering a reward for information leading the arrest and indictment of a person who’s caused $300,000 in damages in scores of incidents is money well spent,” he said.

The MTA and NYPD are asking anyone with information regarding the vandalism to call 1-800-577-TIPS.

email the author: [email protected]

4 Comments

Click for Comments 
paul

I can’t believe without all the modern tech ie cameras everyplace they have not found this person and locked him up already. I parked my car in a legal spot and got a ticket in two seconds. When I appealed it via mail, even with our poor postal service, I got a guilty letter from the city in less than a week.

5
1
Reply
😩

Mayor Bill DeBlasio should be fined and taken out of office for dereliction of duty. Crime & vandalism is out of control.

1212
1
Reply
DeBlasio city 🐀

Thanks to Mayor Bill DeBlasio & his policies this city is doomed . Blame the increase of crime & vandalism his policies and him trying to please a certain community. Keep turning a blind eye Bill DeBlasio

1368
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946 to 1950 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.

Man dies in East Elmhurst house fire that left 10 others injured: FDNY

A man was killed in a fire that broke out inside an East Elmhurst home that also left 10 others injured late Friday night, according to the FDNY.

The FDNY received a call regarding the two-alarm fire that broke out just after 11 p.m. in a three-story residential home at 24-37 89th St. on Friday, Jan. 20. FDNY sent 25 units consisting of 106 firefighters and EMS workers to the scene. Additionally, officers from the 115th Precinct responded to the scene.