You are reading

Mayor Eric Adams Backs Innovation QNS, ‘The Project Should Move Forward’

Mayor Eric Adams told reporters during a press conference about trash pickups today that he is in support of the Innovation QNS project

Oct. 17, 2022 By Christian Murray

Mayor Eric Adams said today that he is in support of the Innovation QNS development and that the project should move forward.

Adams announced his support when he was asked about the project by a reporter at the end of a press conference he was holding about trash pickups.

“We have a housing problem,” Adams said in response to the question about Innovation QNS. “Addressing the housing problem means building more housing, and this project is a good project.”

The development would bring 2,800 units to five square blocks in Astoria, including approximately 1,100 affordable units. The project would consist of 12 buildings that would range in height from eight to 27 stories in the vicinity of Steinway Street and 35th Avenue.

Adams said that his administration is engaging in conversations with Councilmember Julie Won, who represents the district where the development is proposed. Won is opposed to the project in its current form arguing that it does not include enough affordable housing.

Won wants the developers–Silverstein Properties, BedRock Real Estate Partners and Kaufman Astoria Studios—to set aside at least 50 percent of the units for affordable housing, up from the current figure of 40 percent.

The developers agreed to boost the number of affordable housing units from 25 percent to 40 percent last month.

The $2 billion proposal, which is dependent on a rezoning, is scheduled to go before the city council for a vote next month that will determine its fate.

Traditionally the city council votes in lockstep with the official where the development is proposed—known as council deference—although many high-ranking officials want Innovation QNS to be built and believe the council may break from this tradition.

“There are things that the council woman wants to talk about to get to a good and comfortable place. We are open to that, but the project should move forward,” Adams said, “We can’t continue to stop these projects.”

Adams described the concept of member deference as an informal council tradition. He said he aims to convince the council that the project makes sense.

Won was not immediately available for comment.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Romanian nationals busted for ATM skimming scheme that involved more than 600 Queens residents: Feds

The NYPD and federal agents arrested five Romanian nationals living in Queens on Thursday for engaging in a sophisticated ATM skimming operation that involved the theft of bank account information and PIN numbers from more than 600 unsuspecting bank customers from across the borough.

The five men were named in an indictment that was unsealed in Brooklyn federal court charging them with fraud and aggravated identity theft following a long-term investigation by the NYPD, FBI and the Secret Service.

3 men sought for armed robbery in East Elmhurst home invasion near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

The NYPD is looking for three men who allegedly robbed an East Elmhurst man of tens of thousands of dollars during a home invasion early Monday morning.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at a townhouse located at 108-09 Ditmars Blvd. near 29th Avenue just south of LaGuardia Airport.
The victim had pulled up in front of his home just before 2 a.m. when he was approached by three suspects. One of them pulled out a firearm and forced him inside the townhouse where they stole around $30,000 in cash and a safe that contained an unspecified amount of jewelry, before exiting and driving off in a silver four-door SUV, police said.

Corona man criminally charged with sex trafficking for forcing Mexican woman into prostitution: DA

A Corona man has been indicted on sex trafficking charges for allegedly forcing a Mexican woman to engage in prostitution over a three-year period, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Wednesday.

Galindo Capultitla, 39, of 40th Road, was arraigned Tuesday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Peter Vallone Jr. on a seven-count indictment charging him with three counts of sex trafficking and other crimes for forcing the victim to engage in sex for money in Mexico and the United States, including in Queens. During the victim’s three-year ordeal, Capultitla allegedly hit and choked her—and even threatened to kill her family in Mexico—if she failed to hand over the money gained through sex.