You are reading

May Concerts, Parades and Street Fairs Cancelled in NYC; June Events Unlikely: Mayor

Mayor Bill de Blasio at his press briefing today

April 17, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today that he is cancelling all nonessential events next month — including parades, street fairs, rallies and concerts — amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The mayor said that June events are also unlikely to take place, adding that he can’t envision thousands of people gathering in one place at that time too.

De Blasio said the parades, concerts and fairs are a big part of what makes New York New York, but that they aren’t safe to hold during the pandemic.

“We love those events, but what do we know about those events?” de Blasio said. “It inherently means large numbers of people crowded together in a pretty small space — that’s New York, that’s who we are — but guess what? That goes against everything that we need to do to fight the coronavirus.”

Events now cancelled for May include the Brooklyn Half Marathon.

De Blasio said he is talk with some of the organizers of June events to discuss rescheduling.

He was not hopeful that events would take place then too. “I don’t see it.”

The pride parade, draws thousands of people each year and will be celebrating its 50th anniversary, is scheduled for June 28.

The mayor said he will make an official announcement soon as to whether June events will be canceled.

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Alot of selfish people

Of course they have to be cancelled. Do you people want to stay home forever? Let get this over with once and for all.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.