You are reading

Jackson Heights Food Court closes, local merchants speculate as to why

Food Court

July 28, 2015 By Michael Florio

The Jackson Heights Food Court, known for its buffet-style food and grocery items, mysteriously closed last week.

Speculation has been rampant among adjacent business owners since as to its sudden closing. Many store owners and their employees claim that the food market has been sold.

The local merchants were certain that it had been taken over by a new owner, although it could not be verified. The owner of record could not be reached for comment.

“The owners are changing,” said Mohammad Rasal, an employee with Easy World, the cell phone store located right next door to the market.

An employee at Jackson Heights Wireless, located next door, said that it had been sold. So too did an employee at Cell Bell.

There was no indication that the food market had been closed by the Department of Health. The Dept. of Health website had last issued the eatery with a ‘grade pending’ on April 30. Furthermore, there was no yellow sticker on the door indicating that it had been closed by order of the department.

Councilman Daniel Dromm’s office had not heard whether the restaurant had been sold.

Friends of Diversity Plaza could not be reached for comment.

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
lisa r d

I think that it is not right that none of the involved parties can never be reached for comment! Things that make ya go hummmmn

Reply
dssjh

they were cited for 31 violation points, including several critical ones like “Personal cleanliness inadequate. Outer garment soiled with possible contaminant.” on reinspection after an earlier shutdown.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.

Law enforcement ghost car crackdowns continue with dozens of vehicles seized on Whitestone Bridge: MTA

MTA Bridge and Tunnel officers, the NYPD and law enforcement partners impounded 55 vehicles from motorists crossing into Queens on the Whitestone Bridge on Monday, July 8, as a multi-agency crackdown continued unabated.

Governor Kathy Hochul announced on Tuesday that through 25 joint enforcement operations focusing on ghost plates and persistent toll violators on bridges and tunnels throughout New York City, 1,540 vehicles have been impounded, 339 arrests have been made and 12,007 summonses have been issued so far this year to drivers who owe more than $12.5 million in unpaid tolls and fees.