You are reading

Hundreds at Rikers Protest Living Conditions, Stage Hunger Strike

200 men detained at Rikers Island say they are on hunger strike to protest conditions at the jail facility (Photo: Queens Post)

Jan. 12, 2022 By Allie Griffin

Approximately 200 men detained at the Rikers Island jail facility have organized a hunger strike —claiming that it is in response to being denied basic services and being forced to live in inhumane conditions.

The men started the hunger strike to protest what they say is an unacceptable level of violence—as well as unhygienic living quarters. The men cite other issues such as the lack of outdoor recreation, as well as a lack of medical and health assistance.

A spokesperson for the Department of Corrections said that while the inmates are refusing department meals, they are eating food from the commissary.

The protest marks what several elected officials say is an increasingly dire situation at the jail facility. Staffing shortages and COVID-19, they argue, have created a dangerous environment for the roughly 5,400 people detained — most of whom are awaiting trials.

Last year, 15 people held at Rikers died — the highest number of inmate fatalities at the facility since 2016.

Many of the detainees have been denied access to outdoor recreation, the law library and other areas because they are quarantined due to a COVID exposure, according to the reports.

However, COVID infection is nearly impossible to avoid as many of the protesting inmates live in dorm-style settings with beds just a foot apart.

Inmates also said they have not received their mail and packages and do not have adequate heat in their quarters as temperatures dip below freezing.

One of their biggest concerns, according to reports, is the delay — or altogether absence — of medical services.

Queens Council Member Tiffany Cabán, whose district includes Rikers Island, said she has heard of one instance in which a person waited two and a half weeks to have broken bones put in a cast.

“These conditions are torture, plain & simple,” Cabán tweeted.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Javier

Maybe if they realized that prison is …….well….prison. Its PUNISHMENT so you avoid ending up back there. I don’t know why they expect 4 star service. Don’t wanna eat crappy food, shower once a week, or sleep on a slab of concrete? Then don’t do things to end up in prison. Period.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.