You are reading

Flushing Man Bilks Jackson Heights Apartment Seekers Out of Thousands

iStock

June 1, 2021 By Christian Murray

A Flushing con-man who posed as a real estate agent pleaded guilty last week to grand larceny charges for stealing more than $50,000 from apartment seekers, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

Cesar Fernandez-Loor, 38, advertised apartments for rent in Jackson Heights and then required his victims to fork over a deposit in order to move in. Many of his victims, immigrants living in the area, paid a deposit yet never heard from him again.

“The victims were looking for a place to call home,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz. “Sadly, they crossed paths with a con artist determined to enrich himself at their expense.”

Katz said that Fernandez-Loor will be required to pay his victims back, or he will face prison time of 2 1/3 to 7 years. More than a dozen people were bilked by the scam.

Fernandez-Loor, according to court records, advertised the apartments and then scheduled appointments to meet in person.

He presented himself as a real estate agent for ACT Realty Corp., a Jackson Heights firm, and then showed the apartments—before requiring his victims to pay a security deposit. He defrauded multiple victims, with them turning over between $1,300 and $7,000 each in the belief that they had secured a place to live.

None of the would-be renters were able to move in and he cut off all communication with many of them. He did write refund checks to some of the victims, which bounced.

The scam took place between December 2017 and February 2020, according to Katz.

Investigators were made aware of the scam following a news story by Univision Channel 41 highlight complaints from victims, which mentioned ACT Realty.

 

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946-50 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.

Man dies in East Elmhurst house fire that left 10 others injured: FDNY

A man was killed in a fire that broke out inside an East Elmhurst home that also left 10 others injured late Friday night, according to the FDNY.

The FDNY received a call regarding the two-alarm fire that broke out just after 11 p.m. in a three-story residential home at 24-37 89th St. on Friday, Jan. 20. FDNY sent 25 units consisting of 106 firefighters and EMS workers to the scene. Additionally, officers from the 115th Precinct responded to the scene.