You are reading

Flushing Man Arrested for Allegedly Setting Fire to Bangladeshi Restaurant in Jackson Heights: NYPD

A Flushing man has been arrested after he allegedly torched a Bangladeshi restaurant in Jackson Heights earlier this month after being upset that his order had been botched (Photos: NYPD and Google Maps)

Oct. 19, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A Queens man has been arrested after he allegedly set fire to a Bangladeshi restaurant in Jackson Heights earlier this month after being upset that the establishment botched his order.

Choephel Norbu, 49, of Flushing, was charged with arson, criminal mischief and reckless endangerment for allegedly torching the front of Ittadi Garden & Grill, located at 73-07 37th Rd. on Oct. 2, the FDNY said Tuesday.

The FDNY announcement was accompanied by a video showing a man in a hoody setting fire to the front of the restaurant on Oct. 2 at around 6:15 a.m.

The arsonist in the video, who law enforcement believe is Norbu, is seen standing outside the eatery and then grabbing a bucket before dousing the front of the store with a liquid.

He then bends over and ignites the liquid, sparking a large fireball that engulfs part of the store and the sidewalk. The fire also appears to erupt around the arsonist who then runs away, the video shows.

The fireball damaged the restaurant’s glass door, door mat and wall panel, police said.

It also destroyed the eatery’s air-conditioning unit causing more than $1,500 in damage, according to Fox5 New York.

Norbu, from Sanford Avenue, told detectives that he was “very drunk” at the time of the incident and was enraged that the restaurant didn’t get his order of chicken biryani right, the news outlet reported.

Norbu was arraigned and released without bail. He was ordered back to court in December.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.