You are reading

Elizabeth Crowley Calls BP Donovan Richards’ Allegations of Racism ‘Slanderous and Untruthful’

Elizabeth Crowley (Campaign photo)

July 7, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Queens borough president candidate Elizabeth Crowley slammed her opponent’s allegations of racism as “slanderous and untruthful” in a statement Wednesday.

Crowley said there was zero evidence to back up the claims made by incumbent Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, who accused her of racism in a series of tweets Tuesday night.

“I’m extremely disappointed by the slanderous and untruthful remarks made by one of my opponents,” she said, without addressing Richards by name. “Politics and campaigning can be tough, and I understand that some may take legitimate policy disagreements personally on the trail.”

Crowley compared Richards’ series of bombshell tweets to what she would expect from former President Donald Trump. Richards tweeted “We beat your racist a**” at her after winning the Democratic primary Tuesday night.

“I’ve always believed that leadership is about taking the high road and representing the people, not Trump-like bullying on Twitter and making unfounded accusations based on no evidence whatsoever,” she said.

Crowley maintained that she ran a “campaign of inclusion and optimism” and reached residents in every corner of Queens.

Richards, who beat Crowley in a special election last year, accused her of repeatedly implying that he won last year’s election for the borough presidency because he was a Black man during a time of increased scrutiny on racism in America.

“Since our victory in the June 2020 Democratic primary, Ms. Crowley has repeatedly insinuated that she would have won if not for the death of George Floyd and the ensuing Black Lives Matter movement across our country,” he said in a statement.

Richards also alleged that Crowley threatened to run “a divisive and dirty campaign” if he didn’t offer her a job within his administration after his 2020 victory.

“She clearly followed through on that threat, using the politics of fear throughout this race with mailers disguised as eviction notices and racist dog whistles within her messages on public safety,” he said in a statement.

Crowley denied the allegations and said that her campaign “shocked the political establishment with our strong results, against all odds.”

She is behind Richards by a little over a 1,000 votes, according to the Board of Election results released last night.

Many political insiders had incorrectly assumed the election would be an easy win for Richards, who took office last year after winning a special election against Crowley and several others.

Crowley has not conceded yet and instead said her campaign is determining its “next steps” as they evaluate the numbers from the Board of Elections.

She said she refused to be bullied out of ensuring that every vote is counted.

“Strong women should not be bullied out of ensuring that every vote and voice is heard,” Crowley said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
paul

Racism like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I did not follow this race to comment but in general if it looks, walks, and talks like a racist, it it a racist.

If the person dog whistles like a racist they are a bigot.

If the person uses identity obsession to divide and get ahead then they are the bigot a la Trump and Hillary.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.