You are reading

Elderly Woman Scammed Out Of $10,000, Three Thieves Face Seven Years In Jail

gavel

March 30, 2016 Staff Report

It looked like a sweet deal, but it ended up costing thousands.

Three women have been charged with stealing more than $10,000 from an elderly woman with what’s known as a “found money” scam.

According to Queens District Attorney Richard Brown, defendants Juanita Lamb, Donna Saunders and Deanna Rhett allegedly pretended that they had found a purse filled with $100,000, and told their 88-year-old victim that if she helped them pay taxes on it, they would split they money with her.

The alleged robbery took place in early August last year. According to the charges, Saunders initiated the scam by starting a conversation with the victim at 77th Street and 31st Avenue. While they were speaking, Rhett approached and showed the victim what appeared to be a purse filled with $100,000, and allegedly stated that she had found it on the floor and was willing to share the money if they helped her pay taxes on it.

Lamb then appeared in a Buick, offered the victim a ride home and they all agreed to meet a couple of days later to pay the taxes and share the money, charges state.

When they met back up, the three defendants allegedly drove the victim to Queens County Savings Bank, where she entered alone and withdrew $10,300 for the taxes, then came back to the vehicle and gave the money to Rhett. They then drove her home to get some proof of her address.

When the victim came back out, the three women were gone.

Brown said that there are many variations of the “found money” scam, and that scammers often target elderly people because they tend to live alone and have atssets such as savings, pensions or retirement benefits to pull from.

The NYPD’s Organized Theft Squad ultimately recovered $10,300 from the defendants’ vehicle and from Saunders’ waistband. They also found wigs in various colors and numerous fake $100 bills.

If convicted, the defendants face up to seven years in prison, according to Brown.

Dan Hochheiser, Lamb’s attorney, said that she entered a not guilty plea at the arraignment.

“Regardless of what the District Attorney’s press release claims, my client is presumed innocent,” Hoccheiser said. When asked for further comment, he added, “I prefer to litigate cases in the court, not in the press.”

Rhett nor Saunders’ attorneys could not be reached for comment as of press time.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Joe at the Berkley

-B Because elderly are much more vulnerable. They suffer from diminished capacity caused by dementia, alzheimers disease, over medication and an array of other conditions that impair judgement.

Reply
B Smith

Stop referring to people as elderly. Anyone scammed is the same thing. Young, black, white, brown.. 40 something.. why is this different?

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.