You are reading

DOE: Remote Learning Will Continue to Take Place on Passover and Good Friday

(Lara Far, Unsplash)

April 6, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

There will be no spring break for students and teachers at New York City schools this year and April 9 and 10 – Passover and Good Friday – will not be considered days off either, the Department of Education officially announced Friday.

Spring break was originally scheduled for April 9 – 17 but the city’s schools closed on March 16 in order to combat the coronavirus spread. The city and its teachers then started remote learning on March 23– after students had a week off.

The announcement Friday caught some by surprise since the head of the United Federation of Teachers notified its members early last week that the religious holidays would be observed.

Many expected that schools would be in session for the week of April 13 given the lost days in March– but that Thursday, April 9 and Friday, April 10 would be designated as days off since they are of particular significance to Christians and Jews.

Michael Mulgrew, the president United Federation of Teachers, sent a note to members on March 31 explaining that April 9 and April 10 would likely be given as days off, and that remote learning would resume on April 13, according to the New York Post.

But Carranza announced Friday that remote learning would take place on Passover and Good Friday.

Carranza said that teachers and students were free to take off April 9 and 10 but that those days will not be considered as “days off” for the school system.

“For the health and well being of all New Yorkers, the City and the State are in agreement that schools must continue to offer remote learning, including during days that were previously scheduled as breaks,” he said in a statement.

“As a result, our schools will continue with remote learning through the time originally scheduled for Spring Recess,” he said.

The announcement was blasted by the Mulgrew who said it was unfair to his members.

The union leader said that Mayor Bill de Blasio–unlike parents– had failed to recognize how hard teachers have been working during the coronavirus pandemic.

“I can assure you that there has been an outpouring of thanks from parents and from first responders and health care workers,” UFT President Michael Mulgrew told Fox5NYafter Carranza’s announcement.

“Meanwhile, the silence from City Hall has been deafening. Never once during this crisis has the mayor thanked [us]. Instead, he diminishes your work by describing it only as a vehicle to keep children at home,” he said.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Romanian nationals busted for ATM skimming scheme that involved more than 600 Queens residents: Feds

The NYPD and federal agents arrested five Romanian nationals living in Queens on Thursday for engaging in a sophisticated ATM skimming operation that involved the theft of bank account information and PIN numbers from more than 600 unsuspecting bank customers from across the borough.

The five men were named in an indictment that was unsealed in Brooklyn federal court charging them with fraud and aggravated identity theft following a long-term investigation by the NYPD, FBI and the Secret Service.

3 men sought for armed robbery in East Elmhurst home invasion near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

The NYPD is looking for three men who allegedly robbed an East Elmhurst man of tens of thousands of dollars during a home invasion early Monday morning.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at a townhouse located at 108-09 Ditmars Blvd. near 29th Avenue just south of LaGuardia Airport.
The victim had pulled up in front of his home just before 2 a.m. when he was approached by three suspects. One of them pulled out a firearm and forced him inside the townhouse where they stole around $30,000 in cash and a safe that contained an unspecified amount of jewelry, before exiting and driving off in a silver four-door SUV, police said.

Corona man criminally charged with sex trafficking for forcing Mexican woman into prostitution: DA

A Corona man has been indicted on sex trafficking charges for allegedly forcing a Mexican woman to engage in prostitution over a three-year period, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Wednesday.

Galindo Capultitla, 39, of 40th Road, was arraigned Tuesday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Peter Vallone Jr. on a seven-count indictment charging him with three counts of sex trafficking and other crimes for forcing the victim to engage in sex for money in Mexico and the United States, including in Queens. During the victim’s three-year ordeal, Capultitla allegedly hit and choked her—and even threatened to kill her family in Mexico—if she failed to hand over the money gained through sex.