You are reading

De Blasio Declares 2015 Safest Year On Record For NYC Roads, Announces $115 million In New Vision Zero Funds

vision zero safest year announcement

Jan. 19, 2016 Staff Report

Mayor Bill de Blasio declared Vision Zero a success Tuesday, announcing that 2015 was the safest year for New York City roads on record.

De Blasio made the announcement alongside the DOT at Woodside’s Razi School on Queens Boulevard, a notoriously dangerous corridor that the City is redesigning with traffic calming measures and new bike lanes. He also announced $115 million in new funding for traffic safety efforts in 2016.

According to City statistics, 231 people lost their lives to traffic crashes in 2015, the fewest since record keeping began in 1910. This number also marks a 22 percent drop from 2013, before Vision Zero launched, and the first time in a decade that all traffic fatalities have declined in two consecutive years.

Pedestrian deaths this year fell 27 percent from 2013, to 134.

“Vision Zero is working,” de Blasio said. “This progress is just the beginning, and Vision Zero is going to move ahead with even more intensity in the coming year.”

“We at DOT are extremely proud that 2015 was the safest year on record for pedestrians on New York City’s streets. However, we recognize that any fatalities mean we have more work to do,” DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg said.

The $115 million in new funds will include $29.6 million for “area-wide improvements in Long Island City,” according to the Mayor’s office.

Officials did not respond to questions regarding what these improvements will entail as of press time. However, the DOT previously announced that a street reconstruction project is in the works for the Hunters Point area.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.