You are reading

Cuomo Orders Businesses to Keep Half their Workers Home, COVID-19 Cases Hit 2K

Gov. Cuomo at a press conference today (Darren McGee/Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

March 18, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Prompted by the number of coronavirus cases across New York state surpassing 2,000, Governor Andrew Cuomo ordered all businesses to keep half their workforce home or working remotely.

The executive order — which goes into effect Friday — is meant to reduce density of people and reduce the spread of the virus which has now infected 2,382 New Yorkers and killed 20. In New York City, 1,339 residents have contracted COVID-19.

While the number has drastically risen — the increase is in part due to an increase in testing capacity, Cuomo said. The state has now tested nearly 14,597 people for COVID-19.

Still, he is furthering the state’s action to reduce social interactions and will sign an executive order today directing non-essential businesses to implement work-from-home policies, if they have no already done so.

Businesses that rely on in-office personnel must decrease their in-office workforce by 50 percent.

“No more than 50 percent of the workforce can report for work outside of the home,” Gov. Cuomo said. “That is a mandatory requirement.”

The governor previously enacted the same order to government agencies on Monday.

Essential services are exempt from the order, however. The industries deemed essential include shipping, media, warehousing, grocery and food production, pharmacies, healthcare providers, utilities, banks and related financial institutions and other industries “critical to the supply chain.”

Cuomo acknowledged that the new order will be a hardship for many businesses.

“I understand that this is a burden to businesses, I get it. I understand the impact on the economy, but in truth, we’re past that point as a nation.”

He added that the public health crisis now at hand must first be addressed, before the resulting economic crisis.

The governor also said that the 50 percent reduction may be increased if necessary to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

“We’ll see if that slows the spread,” Gov. Cuomo said. “If it doesn’t slow the spread, then we will reduce the number of workers even further.”

In addition to the reduction measures, Cuomo has announced that effective 8 p.m. Thursday that all indoor portions of retail shopping malls, amusement parks and bowling alleys must close.

In addition, he is working to increase the healthcare capacity in the state and aims to establish 50,000 more hospital beds statewide.

USNS Comfort

The federal government, he said, is now deploying the USNS Comfort, a hospital ship with 1,000 beds, to New York City.

The governor is also meeting with the Army Corps of Engineers today to discuss ways to increase hospital capacity.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man criminally charged with sex trafficking for forcing Mexican woman into prostitution: DA

A Corona man has been indicted on sex trafficking charges for allegedly forcing a Mexican woman to engage in prostitution over a three-year period, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Wednesday.

Galindo Capultitla, 39, of 40th Road, was arraigned Tuesday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Peter Vallone Jr. on a seven-count indictment charging him with three counts of sex trafficking and other crimes for forcing the victim to engage in sex for money in Mexico and the United States, including in Queens. During the victim’s three-year ordeal, Capultitla allegedly hit and choked her—and even threatened to kill her family in Mexico—if she failed to hand over the money gained through sex.

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

Woman sought for slashing cabbie during a robbery near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

Police are searching for a woman who attacked a cab driver in East Elmhurst during a robbery more than two weeks ago.

The incident occurred in the early morning hours of Sunday, Feb. 11 after the cabbie picked up the suspect in Manhattan. The driver told investigators that the woman initially wanted to be taken to LaGuardia Airport but instead decided to be dropped off  nearby in front of 89-00 23rd Ave. at around 2 a.m.