You are reading

Cuomo Lifts More Restrictions as COVID-19 Data Trends Downward

May 16, 2020- Albany, NY- Governor Andrew Cuomo holds daily COVID-19, Coronavirus press briefing (Darren McGee- Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

May 16, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced today that some sporting events will now be able to take place and elective surgeries are now permitted in more regions across the state.

The announcement comes at a time when many COVID-19 indicators like new hospitalizations and deaths continue to trend downward.

The governor said that horsing racing tracks will be permitted to reopen starting June 1, although without fans. Additionally, the Watkins Glen International auto-race track in Schuyler – which plans to hold a NASCAR race in August – can also open from June 1 without spectators.

“We’re getting a little more nuanced in our analysis, looking for economic activities that you can start without crowds and without gatherings,” the governor said.

Cuomo said these sports will be able to generate revenue from viewers watching on TV.

“Remember, the problem here are crowds and gatherings,” he said.

Cuomo, who also said elective surgeries can begin again in Suffolk and Westchester counties, has been lifting restrictions this week as various COVID-19 health data points trend downward.

For example, the number of daily deaths remained under 200 throughout last week, Cuomo said citing state data.

Similarly, new COVID-19 cases came in lower Friday with 400 daily cases compared to 437 the previous day.

Hospitalizations have also plummeted from a high of 3,181 on April 3, to 400 yesterday.

On Thursday the governor lifted stay-at-home orders in five of the state’s 10 regions – but did not include New York City. And on Friday he announced – in concert with New Jersey, Connecticut and Delaware – that beaches and lake shores can open at a reduced capacity from next Friday, in time Memorial Day weekend.

However, Mayor Bill de Blasio said yesterday that city beaches will remain closed due to concerns that people will not be able to follow safe social distancing rules.

De Blasio’s decision has raised concerns among elected officials elsewhere who are fearful that city residents will instead flock to Long Island, New Jersey and Connecticut adding pressure to those areas.

Council Speaker Corey Johnson disagreed with the mayor’s policy, stating that it will lead to overcrowding at beaches in the rest of the state.

“We need a plan in place that lets people get relief from the heat and uses our beaches safely,” he tweeted Friday.

A spokesperson for de Blasio said city officials were drafting plans to see if beaches could open later in the summer.

“We are reviewing the guidelines the governor laid out and will make all decisions based on the safety of New Yorkers,” she said.

email the author: [email protected]

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
Disgusted Ci5

I guess if I need elective surgery in NYC and it leads to my death it will just be considered a Covid19 death.

Reply
Disgusted Citizen

I guess if you mb red elective surgery in NYC you are screwed and if you do because of it you will be considered a Covid19 death.

Reply
Leigh

The best thing to do is keep beaches closed. I am a beach goer and i am sad, but the crowds will get large, more people in a car, social distancing will not happen, BIG MISTAKE! There will be an up surge in virus cases. Watch and see!

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946 to 1950 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.