You are reading

COVID-19 Has Killed More Than 250 Queens Residents

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo at today’s press conference

March 30, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The novel coronavirus has killed 256 Queens residents since the pandemic began and more than 1,218 residents across New York state, according to the latest data.

Statewide, more than 250 New Yorkers died overnight and the number of COVID-19 cases grew to 66,497, Governor Andrew Cuomo said at a press briefing today.

“That’s a lot of loss, that’s a lot of pain, that’s a lot of tears, that’s a lot of grief that people all across the state are feeling,” Cuomo said.

The virus took the lives of three Queens residents overnight — compared to the nearly 50 residents who died in one night from Friday to Saturday due to COVID-19 complications.

In total, 256 Queens residents have died of coronavirus and 11,868 residents have contracted the disease, as of 10:30 a.m. this morning, according to City Department of Health data.

The World’s Borough continues to be the worst hit by the coronavirus pandemic. Across the five boroughs, there are now 36,221 cases and 790 deaths.

Cuomo continues to take steps to stop the spread. He announced Sunday that the he is extending his order that mandates nonessential workers to say home another two weeks through April 15.

President Donald Trump also said yesterday that he is extending the national social distancing guidelines through April 30 — backtracking his earlier remarks that people would be going back to work by Easter.

The goal of the measures is to slow the spread of the virus, so that it doesn’t overwhelm the healthcare system — but New York City hospitals are already facing unprecedented challenges.

The City’s 911 system has been overwhelmed by callers with coronavirus symptoms. Typically, the number receives about 4,000 calls a day, but last Thursday, the line got more than 7,000 — a number not seen since the 9/11 attacks.

The record for amount of calls in one day was broken three times in the last week, according to the New York Times.

The virus is also putting a strain on the NYPD, who have been tasked with enforce social distancing measures on New York City streets and parks.

Nearly 5,000 officers —  or about 14 percent of the NYPD force — were out sick Sunday and Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said the number of officers with confirmed cases of COVID-19 could likely jump to 900 Monday, according to the New York Post.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
george kelly

PEOPLE NEED TO LISTEN TO THEIR HEARTS AND HOPEFULLY THEIR MINDS AND STAY AWAY FROM ANYONE AND CONGESTED PLACES,PERIOD…IT’S OBVIOUS AS A TRUE NEW YORKER AND GENERATIONAL IRISH GUY WHOSE FAMILY HAS LIVED AND PLAYED IN ROCKAWAY,THERE ARE LOUSY NURSING HOMES AND 3 CLOSED HOSPITALS DUE TO POLITICIANS AND THEIR ILK..SOME OF QUEENS RESIDENTS ARE SO CALLED IMMIGRANTS WHOM POLITICIANS APPLAUD,BUT IN THE SAME TOKEN FLOI
OD OUR OVER FLOWING HOSPITAL E.R’S…THESE ARE THE IDIOTS SPREADING THE COVID…YEAH I SAID IT.POLITIANS AND IDIOTS ARE THE CAUSE OF THESE EXTREME TRAGIC CIRCUMSTANCES..

8
2
Reply
Bluefin

It will kill even more people if people do not keep social distance, what surprises me is that people are not taking it seriously at all, trains are packed with people, buses are full and people are still walking on the street like there is nothing going on,

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.