You are reading

Councilmember Schulman Reaches Agreement With Queens Boulevard Developer Over Affordable Housing

The Tower Diner (left) and the building planned to replace it (RJ Capital Holdings)

Jan. 21, 2022 By Allie Griffin

Council Member Lynn Schulman appears to support a rezoning application that calls for a 15-story mixed-use development on Queens Boulevard—after an agreement was struck with the developer that would bring affordable housing to residents at lower incomes than what was initially proposed.

Schulman said the development company, RJ Capital Holdings, operating under the name Trylon LLC, is “moving in the right direction” after it agreed to offer some apartments in its proposed Queens Boulevard development to renters who make incomes as low as 40 percent of the area medium income.

“After extensive negotiations and discussions with Trylon LLC, I am happy to announce that the zoning application for 98-81 Queens Boulevard has been modified to allow for deeply affordable housing that will enable more families to be able to live in the Forest Hills community,” Schulman said in an announcement Wednesday.

The application for the 144-unit development must be approved by the City Council in order to move forward because it requires a zoning change.

The council is expected to vote on the application in the coming months and Schulman’s vote — which appears to be favorable — will likely determine the outcome. The council typically votes in lockstep with the member who represents the district where the development is proposed in a practice known as member deference.

Schulman stopped short of committing her full approval but spoke favorably of the developer’s willingness to work with the community.

“There are a lot of steps before the Council votes on this, but the developer is certainly moving in the right direction and is showing their commitment to work with the community,” she said in a statement to the Queens Post.

The proposal calls for the demolition of several buildings on a large triangular block occupied by the Tower Diner, Ohr Natan Synagogue and various small businesses to make way for apartments and retail space.

The rezoning plan was rejected by Community Board 6 last month (20 against, 19 in favor) due, in part, to a lack of “deeply” affordable housing.

The proposal was also rejected by Queens Borough President Donovan Richards. He recommended against it on Jan. 7 on the basis that it “fell short of providing deeply affordable housing.”

The board’s vote and Richards’ recommendation are merely advisory, with the council vote being the ultimate determinant.

The affordable housing component, however, has changed given Schulman’s agreement.

The triangular lot that RJ Capital Holdings seeks to rezone and develop (Google Maps)

RJ Capital Holdings originally planned to offer 44 units of the 144 total apartments in its development to residents who earn 70, 80 or 90 percent of the area median income in accordance with the city’s Mandatory Inclusionary Housing Option 2 requirement. For a family of four, 80 percent of the AMI equates to $95,440.

Community Board 6 wanted the developer to offer some of those units to residents who earn 60 percent or less of the area median income. At 60 percent AMI, the threshold for a family of four would be $71,580.

The board was unable to convince the developers to lower the threshold for its “affordable” units. However, Schulman was able to get RJ Capital to agree.

Under the new proposal, the affordable units will be offered to families who make “an average” of 60 percent of the AMI, in accordance with the city’s Mandatory Inclusionary Housing Option 1 requirement.

Furthermore, 11 percent of the affordable units will be offered to families who make 40 percent the AMI and 7 percent of the affordable units will be offered to families who make 100 percent of the AMI.

The revised deal, Schulman said, will bring approximately 40 affordable units, with the majority of those units reserved for households making between $30,000 and $70,000 per year.

“I ran for City Council as a proponent of affordable housing and community involvement in the development of our neighborhoods,” Schulman, who took office this month, said. “The outcome for this proposed project is the first example of that commitment.”

The application is currently awaiting a vote within the City Planning Commission before it is turned over to the City Council for the ultimate say.

Schulman noted that there are other conditions requested by Community Board 6 that “are still being explored”.

For instance, Community Board 6 members called for the developer to incorporate some of the distinct architectural elements of both the Tower Diner and the original Trylon Theater — where the synagogue is now located — into its new building design.

The request aims to appease dozens of residents who are opposed to the demolition of the buildings.

They say the architecture of the two buildings is an important part of the neighborhood. For instance, the Tower Diner features an iconic clock tower and the synagogue occupies the building that once was the historic Art Deco-styled Trylon Theater, which opened in 1939 and closed in 1999.

petition to save the buildings and small businesses located on the triangular block — bordered by Queens Boulevard, 66th Avenue and 99th Street — has garnered more than 4,000 signatures.

However, the city can’t stop RJ Capital from demolishing the buildings — and putting up a new development — since the property is not landmarked.

RJ Capital can build an apartment complex, albeit smaller, as of right. In fact, the company said it would construct a 103-unit building with zero affordable apartments if its rezoning application were to be rejected.

Rendering of the proposed 98-81 Queens Blvd. development (RJ Capital Holdings)

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946-50 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.

Man dies in East Elmhurst house fire that left 10 others injured: FDNY

A man was killed in a fire that broke out inside an East Elmhurst home that also left 10 others injured late Friday night, according to the FDNY.

The FDNY received a call regarding the two-alarm fire that broke out just after 11 p.m. in a three-story residential home at 24-37 89th St. on Friday, Jan. 20. FDNY sent 25 units consisting of 106 firefighters and EMS workers to the scene. Additionally, officers from the 115th Precinct responded to the scene.