You are reading

Controversial Plan to Enlarge Building within Historic District Goes Before Landmarks August 2

37th Avenue

Aug. 1, 2016 By Michael Florio

A controversial plan to enlarge a one-story building on 37th Avenue within the confines of the Jackson Heights Historic District is scheduled to go before the Landmarks Preservation Commission tomorrow.

Tomorrow’s hearing will be the second held concerning the proposal to build four stories of residential units on top of the current one-story commercial building at 84-11 through 84-23 37th Ave.

The commission could approve or deny the development as early as tomorrow, a LPC spokeswoman said. However, it is also possible the commission could tell the developer to revise the proposal or once again table the proposal.

The proposal went before the commission last August, but was tabled as the commission wanted the developer to do more research on the history of the location.

The commission also wanted additional information on the surrounding area, mainly to the north and south of 37th Ave, the LPC spokeswoman said.

The developer, Charles Patel, argues that the enlarged building would still be in line with the context of neighborhood.

His proposal states that the building would be “adjacent to nine-story Roosevelt Terrace, tallest and only diagonally oriented development in Jackson Heights.”

The proposal also states that the building is located on the predominantly built up north side of 37th Ave.

Howard Weiss, the lawyer who represents Patel, was unavailable for comment.

Last year dozens of Jackson Heights residents attended the hearing in opposition of the proposal.

Councilman Daniel Dromm spoke out against the plan at the hearing.

“When landmarked in 1993, 37th Avenue was constructed primarily of one-story structures,” Dromm said at that meeting. “These structures are important for the community and the commission should preserve them.”

Dromm also read a statement issued by Queen Borough President Melinda Katz who also opposed it. Representatives for state Senators Jose Peralta and Michael DenDekker read letters in opposition to it.

Scott Brevada, an 85th Street resident who spoke out against the proposal at last year’s hearing, is encouraging residents to send emails to the LPC stating their opposition.

The public will not be allowed to speak tomorrow, according to the spokeswoman.

The hearing is scheduled for 2 pm, but those interested in attending should arrive at 1 pm, the spokeswoman said.

The hearing will take place on the 9th floor of 1 Centre Street in Manhattan.

Rendering

Rendering

email the author: news@queenspost.com

4 Comments

Click for Comments 
Scott Brevda

This Building does not match the architectual standards of the Historic District and should not be allowed.

Reply
Anonymous

If the style is appropriate and blends in with the neighborhood, why not everyone is always complaining about landmarking — the neighborhood has changed totally —

Reply
Barbara Grant

The area is congested enough. There is no place for this type of additional building in our area.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man charged with rape and kidnapping for attacks on 13-year-olds in Flushing park: DA

Ecuadorean migrant Christian Inga was criminally charged Wednesday with first-degree rape, two counts of kidnapping, predatory sexual assault, and other crimes for attacking two 13-year-olds who were in Kissena Corridor Park in the middle of the afternoon on June 13.

He allegedly held the two children at knifepoint in a wooded area where he tied the hands of the boy and girl together with a shoelace and then raped the girl.