You are reading

Benefit Concert For Victims Of Ecuador Earthquake Planned For Sunday

UPDATED FINAL FLYER_ENGLISH_Queens for Ecuador_4.21.2016 (1)

April 21, 2016 Staff Report

Queens residents will join this weekend to support the victims of the deadly earthquake in Ecuador.

A massive 7.8-magnitude earthquake ripped through Ecuador on April 16, leaving nearly 600 people dead. State Sen. Jose Peralta, along with Assemblyman Fransisco Moya and other officials and community groups, will host a concert Sunday night to benefit the families affected by the disaster.

The “Queens for Ecuador” benefit concert will take place at La Boom New York, located at 56-15 Northern Blvd., Sunday night from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. There will be a $10 suggested donation for those who attend.

All the proceeds of the event will go to UNICEF, the international organization working with the Consulate General of Ecuador in New York.

More than 46,000 Ecuadorians reside in Peralta’s district, according to the Senator’s office.

“As we mourn the dead and rescuers dig through the rubble looking for survivors, Ecuador will never be alone,” Peralta said. “We stand in solidarity with Ecuador and its people as they recover from one of the most powerful earthquakes to strike the country.”

“I was devastated when I heard the news coming from Ecuador, and since that moment, we began work to do everything possible to assist our Ecuadorian brothers and sisters,” he added. “I would encourage New Yorkers in general, and Queens residents in particular, to join us this Sunday at the event we are hosting at La Boom to help financially the victims of this massive quake.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

plays

Jun. 17, 2024 By Athena Dawson

Are you a fan of dramatic plays and tear-jerking comedies? Head to Travers Park this Wednesday for a free performance of Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors, hosted by the Mobile Unit of The Public Theatre.  Located at 78th St. and 34th Ave. in Jackson Heights, the Shakespeare in the Park series will grace Queens’ public stage on June 19th at 6 p.m. for a truly unforgettable performance. The 90-minute play will provide a bilingual English and Spanish adaptation for audience members to enjoy. 

Teen robbed of pricey AirPods by shirtless suspect near Queens Center Mall: NYPD

A 17-year-old girl was walking to the Queens Center Mall earlier this month when a bare-chested stranger snatched a pricey pair of Apple AirPods from her ears in broad daylight.

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst reported that the grand larceny occurred at around 4 p.m. on Tuesday, June 6. The youngster was about to enter the mall at 90-15 Queens Blvd. when the perpetrator came up behind her and forcibly removed the AirPods before running off in an unknown direction, police said. A pair of high-end Apple AirPods can cost up to $500.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.