You are reading

88-Year-Old Pedestrian Dies Three Days After Being Struck by Car in Flushing: NYPD

Northern Boulevard near 47th Street (Google Maps)

An 88-year-old pedestrian is dead after being struck by a driver on Northern Boulevard near 147th Street earlier this month (Google Maps)

Mar. 21, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

An 88-year-old pedestrian is dead after being struck by a car close to his Flushing home earlier this month, police announced Sunday.

Thomas Soong, of 35th Avenue, was hit by the driver of a 2018 Honda Fit while attempting to cross Northern Boulevard near 147th Street on March 11 at around 9:20 p.m., according to police. He died from his injuries three days later.

Soong was in an eastbound traffic lane when a 52-year-old driver plowed into him after pulling out of the parking lot at Butcher’s Cut Korean restaurant, located at 146-13 Northern Blvd. The driver was making a left turn onto Northern Boulevard heading eastbound, police said.

When police arrived on the scene the senior was lying on the road with head injuries, cops said.

The victim was transported by EMS to New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Queens in serious condition but succumbed to his injuries on March 14 at around 6 p.m.

The driver of the Honda remained at the scene after the collision, police said. No arrests have been made and the NYPD’s Highway Collision Investigation Squad is still investigating the incident.

Soong had lived alone in a three-story building he owned on the next block, according to the New York Daily News. He had no children.

Neighbors said the octogenarian was very active and volunteered at the nearby St. Andrews Avellino Catholic Church, located at 35-60 158th St., to help people vote, according to the publication.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.