You are reading

38 Children in New York City Have Rare Coronavirus-Linked Condition

Stock: Unsplash

May 11, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A growing number of children are developing a rare and mysterious condition linked to the coronavirus in New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Sunday.

Across the five boroughs, 38 children as of Monday have developed the condition doctors are calling “pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome.” Nine cases are pending and one child has died, the mayor said.

Last week, the city had just 15 cases of the syndrome, including an 8-year-old Richmond Hill boy who suffered heart failure and was placed on a ventilator, but has since improved.

“Previously this is something that we didn’t see cases of, then we started to see a few cases, then we saw more cases, now we’ve actually lost a child to this syndrome,” de Blasio said at a press conference Sunday. “And that is deeply deeply troubling.”

The increasing number of cases has alarmed city health experts who had previously believed the deadly virus largely overlooks children.

“There is a rare condition which we’re seeing more of just in the last days and it’s causing tremendous concern,” de Blasio said. “I’m deeply concerned as a father.”

The syndrome is similar to toxic shock syndrome or Kawasaki disease, health experts say. It causes inflammation that can send the body into a state of shock and cause organ failure.

If left untreated the condition can permanently damage a child’s heart.

Symptoms of the syndrome include persistent fever, rash, abdominal pain and vomiting.

“Every parent out there if you see these symptoms, take them seriously, act immediately,” de Blasio said. “This is a real problem, but it’s a problem that can be addressed if it’s caught early.”

All children with the symptoms will be tested for coronavirus antibodies at the city’s public hospitals, de Blasio said.

Of the 38 cases, 47 percent tested positive for COVID-19. Meanwhile, 81 percent of other children had antibodies for the virus, de Blasio said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Stew Gotts.

Knowing this information, does the Mayor and Governor still want to reopen the schools ? How will the students and teachers practice social distancing ?

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.