You are reading

2021 On Track to Have Highest Number of Traffic Deaths During de Blasio Administration: Report

Mohammed Hossain was in this vehicle when he was killed by an alleged drunk driver in Maspeth last month (Queens Post/ Christina Santucci)

July 22, 2021 By Allie Griffin

2021 is on track to be the deadliest year in terms of traffic fatalities since Mayor Bill de Blasio took office in 2014, according to a new report.

The first half of 2021 saw the greatest number of traffic deaths for the first six months of any year since de Blasio was elected mayor, according to a report released by Transportation Alternatives and Families for Safe Streets Wednesday.

Across the five boroughs, 124 people were killed in crashes from Jan. 1 through June 30. Of that number, 64 were pedestrians, 52 were motorists and eight were cyclists.

Transportation advocates blame the de Blasio administration for the increase. They say he hasn’t made good on his signature “Vision Zero” plans to prevent traffic fatalities and injuries.

“More people are dying on Mayor de Blasio’s streets because he failed to quickly and aggressively scale the safety solutions of Vision Zero that he knows work, instead choosing to deliver piecemeal projects and unfulfilled promises,”  said Danny Harris, Executive Director of Transportation Alternatives.

In May alone, 31 people died in collisions citywide — making it the third deadliest month since 2014. Furthermore, the city hit 100 fatalities for the year on May 30, the shortest time it has taken to reach the grim milestone within a year over the past seven years, according to the report.

In Queens, there were 20 traffic deaths from Jan. 1, 2021 through May 31, 2021, according to the latest data available on the city’s Vision Zero map. During the same period last year, there were five fewer traffic deaths across the borough at 15 fatalities.

“Every month in 2021 we are breaking records for lives lost to traffic violence,” said Families for Safe Streets member Judy Kottick, whose daughter Ella Bandes was struck and killed by the driver of an MTA bus in 2013 at an intersection on the border of Ridgewood and Bushwick.

“These are our neighbors, our parents, our siblings, and our children — killed because our elected leaders failed to expand the significant early success of Vision Zero.”

Traffic fatalities dipped in early 2020 and then steeply rose once the pandemic shuttered the city.

Many believe the increase in crashes is due in part to a rise in speeding—a habit formed during the pandemic when fewer vehicles were on the road—as well as a subsequent increase in car usage as people have avoided the use of public transportation.

Overall, there have been nearly 550 traffic fatalities in Queens since de Blasio became mayor in 2014 — and 1,700 individuals have been killed by vehicles across all five boroughs since then — according to the report.

(Transportation Alternatives)

The advocates say the solutions to saving lives and making streets safer are well known. These include creating more busways and bus lanes; increasing the number of protected and connected bike paths; turning streets and parking spaces over to restaurants and other small businesses; and redesigning streets where multiple crashes have occurred.

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Javier

Because his zero vision program is a complete joke. And his open streets program is an even bigger one. Closing off complete Avenues to traffic only creates MORE traffic on neighboring avenues along with more annoyance from drivers. Hope we have a Mayor who will be competent instead of constantly nickel and diming drivers.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946 to 1950 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.