You are reading

13-Story Building Planned for Roosevelt Avenue, Row of Stores Would be Bulldozed

A rendering of the proposed development planned for Roosevelt Avenue (City Planning)

April 6, 2021 By Christian Murray

About 10 stores on Roosevelt Avenue are in jeopardy of being bulldozed to make way for a 13-story, 213-unit complex.

A developer has filed an application with the Department of City Planning to rezone a series of parcels on Roosevelt Avenue–between 62nd and 63rd Streets–to put up a large mixed-use building. The plans were certified Monday and the public review process has begun.

The plans involve rezoning a series of lots—62-02 through 62-26 Roosevelt Avenue– from a R6 and R6/C1-4 district– to a C4-4 district.

Woodside 63 Management LLC., which is led by the Astoria-based real estate firm EJ Stevens Group, is behind the application.

Stores likely to be demolished to make way for development (Queen Post)

The development would require the demolition of approximately 10 storefronts, occupied by an eclectic array of businesses– including a carpet store, laundromat, furniture store, restaurant, barber shop and 99-cent store.

The 13-story building would consist of apartment units on floors three through 13. The ground floor would be dedicated to retail, with office space on the second floor.

Development site outlined in red

A community facility would be located on the cellar level. The developer is working with Mare Nostrom Elements on an arts/dance facility in that space.

The sub-cellar would include 156 parking spaces, accessible from 63rd Street.

The plans call for 54 of the 213 dwelling units to be “affordable,” which would be set aside for households earning an average of 60 percent area median income (about $68,220 for a family of four).

The developer is required to provide affordable housing in accordance with the city’s Mandatory Inclusionary Housing guidelines—since a rezoning is required.

Stores likely to be demolished to make way for development (Queen Post)

The developers presented their plans to Community Board 2’s Land Use Committee last month.

“The general consensus right now is it’s too big for the site,” said Lisa Deller, co-chair of the Land Use Committee and chair of Community Board 2.

“It will impact low rise residential homes to the north. At this point it would require significant community support for us to vote for it. The Land Use Committee has been very critical of this proposal.”

Without a zoning change, Deller said, the developer is permitted to build a 9-story building and would not be required to set aside units for affordable housing or space for the arts.

Deller said that the Community Board will be holding a public hearing on the development in coming weeks. The plans will be going before Community Board 2 for a non-binding vote within 60 days.

The City Planning Commission and the Borough President will also get to weigh in.

The approval, however, is ultimately determined by the city council. The whole public review process is expected to take about seven months.

Stores likely to be demolished to make way for development (Queen Post)

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 
D

This is a joke. They get 5 stories for a mere 54 “lower income” set of apts. You know those apts will be directly facing the #7 train line–noisy, shaking, etc. The bldg is not sized for the area. REJECT

2
6
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946 to 1950 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.

Man dies in East Elmhurst house fire that left 10 others injured: FDNY

A man was killed in a fire that broke out inside an East Elmhurst home that also left 10 others injured late Friday night, according to the FDNY.

The FDNY received a call regarding the two-alarm fire that broke out just after 11 p.m. in a three-story residential home at 24-37 89th St. on Friday, Jan. 20. FDNY sent 25 units consisting of 106 firefighters and EMS workers to the scene. Additionally, officers from the 115th Precinct responded to the scene.