October 19, By Tara Law
Officials held a ground-breaking ceremony today to mark the renovation and renaming of a popular Jackson Heights park.
The park, formerly known as Bulova Park and located at 25th Avenue and 76th Street, is undergoing a $1.87 million revamp that includes the addition of new playground equipment, plants, and an adult fitness equipment. The park was also renamed Louis C. Moser Park in honor of a long-time community advocate.
As part of the overhaul, the park’s drainage and water supply systems will be reconstructed, and new drinking fountains and play spray showers will be added.
Construction began in September and is expected to be complete by fall 2018.
The renovations are being funded with allocations of $1.37 million by the city council and $500,000 by Mayor Bill de Blasio.
Council Member Costa Constantinides and Queens Parks Commissioner Dorothy Lewandowski led the groundbreaking.
“The time has come to bid farewell to Bulova Park as we know it — we are rebuilding this park for a new generation, with a new name that pays homage to this community,” said Lewandowski.
The former Bulova name stemmed from the Bulova Watch Company that gifted the property to the city.
Louis Moser was a popular local figure best remembered for the creation of the North Queens Home Owners’ Civic Association, founded in 1941 with only ten families.
The group focused its efforts on preserving the residential character of northern Queens by preventing over-development and defending the rights and interests of homeowners.
Moser, who died in 1983, was a strong advocate for park space and park maintenance.