You are reading

Four Borough Presidents Call on State Legislature to Extend Eviction Moratorium

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards joined fellow borough presidents in asking the state to extend the eviction moratorium (Queens Borough President Office)

Jan. 10, 2022 By Allie Griffin

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards joined three other borough presidents in a joint call Friday demanding the state and state legislature extend the eviction moratorium.

Richards together with Manhattan Borough President Mark Levine, Bronx Borough President Vanessa Gibson and Brooklyn Borough President Antonio Reynoso issued a joint statement calling for the extension of the eviction moratorium beyond its Jan. 15 expiration.

They said New Yorkers must not be booted from their homes at a time when COVID numbers are surging. They also want an extension to the commercial eviction moratorium that also expires Jan. 15.

“The moratorium on residential and commercial evictions in New York State has become a lifeline for New Yorkers impacted by COVID-19, and an essential tool to help keep New Yorkers safe and housed during this pandemic,” the borough presidents said in a joint statement. “It must be extended.”

They noted that many of the active residential eviction cases are pending in communities of color — which have also been among the hardest hit neighborhoods by the pandemic. The areas are home to many “underpaid and underserved” frontline workers.

There are more than 200,000 active residential eviction cases currently open in NYC housing court — 17 percent of which are in Queens, according to the Manhattan Borough President’s office. The vast majority are open in eastern Queens, southeast Queens, upper Manhattan, the Bronx and central Brooklyn.

(Manhattan Borough President’s Office)

“We can expect that these communities will be the first to feel the negative repercussions of the expiration of this moratorium, and we cannot allow that to happen while COVID-19 case rates are at an all-time high,” they said in the joint statement.

The borough presidents cited data that shows many of the neighborhoods with a high number of pending eviction cases also have some of the highest COVID-19 case rates in the city.

They said preventing mass evictions is crucial to avoiding over-crowding in congregate shelters where COVID-19 can spread rapidly.

The state has extended the moratorium before.

Last year it was set to expire Aug. 31. However, both houses of the state legislature held extraordinary sessions and passed a bill extending it through Jan. 15. Gov. Kathy Hochul signed the legislation.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.