You are reading

Congresswoman Meng Receives Barrage of Racist Voicemails After Condemning Anti-Asian Rhetoric

Congresswoman Grace Meng (Office of Congresswoman Grace Meng)

Sept. 28, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Queens Congresswoman Grace Meng has received a barrage of racist and anti-Asian voicemails after passing a resolution in the House of Representatives earlier this month condemning such behavior.

Meng introduced the resolution to denounce anti-Asian sentiment related to the coronavirus pandemic in March and the House passed it on Sept. 17. Since then, her office has had numerous callers leave offensive and obscene messages personally attacking her and Asian Americans.

Meng compiled the audio recordings into a video along with clips of President Donald Trump in which he called the coronavirus the “Chinese virus” and “Kung Flu.”

Several callers used foul language and mentioned the virus by the anti-Asian names used by the president, the video shows.

“Anti-Asian hysteria and discrimination must end,” the video says as it ends.

Meng’s resolution denouncing anti Asian rhetoric didn’t pass the House unanimously, with 164 Republicans voting against it.

“164 Republicans voted against #HRes908 & couldn’t condemn this hate,” she Tweeted. “Words & actions have consequences.”

The video Meng posted also features a clip of President Trump responding to reporter’s question about his use of the words “Chinese virus.”

The reporter asks Trump if referring to the virus that way puts Asian Americans at risk. Trump cut the reporter off mid sentence and said “No.”

Meng denounced Trump for calling the coronavirus the “Chinese virus” when her resolution passed Sept. 17. She said it was only stoking people’s fears and hatred, while scapegoating Asian Americans.

“These are more than just hateful and irresponsible words,” Meng added. “This language has fueled the increase of threats and attacks against those of Asian descent, and many Asian Americans continue to live in fear.”

The number of reported hate crimes against Asian Americans in New York City has jumped since mid-March, according to the NYPD. The NYPD established an Asian Hate Crimes Task Force in August.

“Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, Asian Americans have been forced to endure demeaning and disgusting acts of bigotry and hate, consisting of everything from verbal assaults to physical attacks,” Meng said.

Meng’s resolution calls on federal law enforcement officials to investigate and document all credible reports of hate crimes and threats against the Asian American community in the U.S. and bring the perpetrators to justice.

It also calls on the law enforcement to collect data on the rise of hate crimes due to COVID-19.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.